Feedback for non-paying buyers

I like to "clean-up" my feedback evry now and then, and I usually just put a standard, polite, non-War & Peace type comment, (if they deserve it)  and just do a cut & paste.  But  I have noticed that if you have processed a non-payer, and it is all settled, they will still appear in your "leave feedback" section, so a few times I have been ready to hit the "leave feedback" button when I notice it was a non-paying stooge . That must mean that I still appear in their feedback section as well, and they could still leave bad feedback for me?

There is no way (that I can see) of getting rid of these non-paying feedback listings that I can see., (apart from leaving a positive with a choice comment like " BEWARE OF THIS TURKEY< BIDS then DISSAPEARS " ) -Or is there? 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Firstly, to leave positive feedback for a buyer with a negative comment like the one you quoted is against ebay policy.

If the buyer reports such feedback not only will ebay remove it, but you will be issued with a policy violation. Too many of those and you will find limitations on your selling account. Better to just let them go and do not add one more positive count to their tally.

A buyer can leave feedback from the moment they press that commit to buy button, no matter if they subsequently pay or not.

However, if you open/close a UID (Unpaid Item Dispute) if they leave feedback before the case closes, then ebay will redily remove it. Also after the duspite is closed they can no longer leave any feedback at all.

The UID case, once closed, issues the buyer with a strike which you and other sellers can use to auto-block them from buying in future if they have 2 or more strikes within a 12-month period. You need to set this up.

Also when you close the case you are credited with your FVF fees on the non paid sale.

So much better to use the UID process rather than mess with feedback which does nobody any good, including yourself.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Have you been opening a dispute againt these non payers? Please do if you haven't. It not only gets you your fees back, it also helps those of us who have blocks in place to stop serial pests from buying from us. You can open a dispute exactly 4 days after purchase. If they bought at 8.05am and 45 seconds, then you have to wait until 8.05am and 45 seconds 4 days later to open it. That then allows them another 4 days to pay it. If you open the dispute at 8.10am and 55 seconds, you have to wait until 8.10am and 55 seconds 4 days later to close it. If you try to close it at 50 seconds, it won't let you. It comes down to the last second.

If you are having trouble with serial pests, ensure you have blocks in place to prevent them from buying if they have 2 or more strikes. You can also add them to your blocked buyer list so they can't buy from you. They can create a new account to try and get around your blocks, but you can usually stop them as well. 

Here is your blocked buyer list http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

I can't get into the buyer requirements page on this account to give you a link where to set up blocks, but if you scroll up the top to your name, hover over it, hit account settings, then on the next page site preferences. Scroll until you see buyer requirements, then expand and then edit. 

Set the unpaid strikes to 2 in 12 months. 

Set so buyers with less than X feedback have to be phone verified. That stops some people from creating a new account purely to get around your blocks. It also stops guest accounts from buying from you. 

Tick to block buyers who live in a country you don't post to. That stops people from overseas buying, or just countries you don't specifiy.

The others you can set how you want them. The above are the main ones.

As for the feedback side of things, as Clarry said, once a dispute is closed, you are both no longer able to leave feedback at all. It will look like you can on your selling page, but it will block you from leaving any. Why add to their score anyway? If you use the unpaid item assistant, which automatically opens a dispute after 4 days, the buyer is immediately blocked from leaving feedback. I don't like the assistant, because I allow buyers to keep buying until they're done and I don't want to rattle them by a dispute being opened. It's just as easy to manually open and close it.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I had a look at the non-payers , but they actually were non-readers , as they were overseas bidders who won, but I had clearly marked "no international postage".  I had informed Ebay, and the sale was cancelled, (One paid by Paypal before receiving an invoice, so I had to refund it). They still appeared in my Feedback section, even though there was no real sale.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@ivak245 wrote:

I had a look at the non-payers , but they actually were non-readers , as they were overseas bidders who won, but I had clearly marked "no international postage".  I had informed Ebay, and the sale was cancelled, (One paid by Paypal before receiving an invoice, so I had to refund it). They still appeared in my Feedback section, even though there was no real sale.

You need to adjust your settings so overseas bidders cannot even bid in the first place.

I know you probably have it set on Australia Only but as we learnt the hard way a while back, that isn't enough, you have to specifically exclude overseas areas.

Non paying bidders-open an unpaid item dispute & carry through with it. In a logical world, once your case was finalised, the feedback section for that transaction would automatically be removed for seller & buyer, but as that doesn't seem to happen, just don't give feedback at all (as you can't give a neg anyway & you don't want to boost their score & make them look better) & keep an eye out. If they dare to leave FB for you that is neg or neutral, ring ebay and ask for it to be removed-remind ebay it was an unpaid item.

If you ended/cancelled the sale, then I think ebay still allows them to give feedback. If you get a neg or neutral for it, just reply to them, saying transaction was cancelled as you sell to Australia only, as listed in ad.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Why bother giving false buyers a +1 in the first place? Let them be as close to 0 as possible.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you so much, this helped me to deal with my 'auction-runner' !

Much appreciated.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks heaps, this helped me to deal with my case of an 'auction-runner'!

Much appreciated.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply