Feedback

Is there any point in leaving feedback any more?.  I know it's been a few years since sellers have been unable to leave anything but positive feedback which seems a total waste of time.  After all if you can't warn other sellers about a bad buyer why bother at all.   The other side of the coin is that fewer and fewer buyers are bothering to leave feedback.   I haven't received feedback for anything I have sold  in the last 12 months.   SO, again what is the point???

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Feedback

Leaving a neg would not warn anyone anyway

Nobody else can see who the neg is for (as in, nobody else can see the buyer's user ID) 

So it is not warning other sellers who do not have a clue who the dodgy buyer is

But feedback is voluntary anyway

If you don't want to leave it don't

It's been more than a few years, 2008 as far as I can recall 

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

You may want to leave feedback in order to bestow a burst of dopamine upon your buyers. If your buyers feel happy about various aspects of the transaction, they are more likely to buy again from you.

You may want to avoid peeving any buyers who feel that feedback is part of the entire transaction, and will mark you down and potentially even give a negative if they themselves don’t receive any feedback. (Such buyers do exist.)

You may want to give feedback as another (quickly referenced) form of “sent that on such and such a date”. Redundant … but redundancy is a safety feature.

You may want to give feedback do as to ensure your eBay presence shows current activity, which may be a factor in some buyers’ purchasing or not purchasing.

Your tone in feedback can provide a reassuring note of professionalism.

On the flip side, being able to give nonpaying buyers an invisible strike by cancelling the sale after 4 days with the reason “buyer didn’t pay” is arguably more satisfying and effective in the long run than giving a negative.

It’s up to you. I’m a buyer only; I don’t purchase in order to get feedback but my view only applies to myself. I believe that most other buyers expect feedback.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

I for one still look at feedback when making a purchase,  gives me an idea of the integrity of the seller.  No guarantee,  but if they have negs I definitely read and make a decision based on that.  

As for leaving for buyers,  I do leave it (each sunday I do a bulk FB giving session).  But what is the real point of leaving a neg for a buyer,   even if they have 100 negatives, you wont know until they have purchased, Unless they make an offer,   but once purchased you don't have much control.   

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

Yes, feedback is valuable.

As a seller, if you find a buyer gives you trouble, just don't leave feedback at all. An ebay claim for non payment etc is more effective anyway.

If they give you trouble in other ways, just block them but no feedback.

That way, the buyers who are given positive feedback, that should mean something.

As a buyer, I definitely look at a seller's feedback & especially any negs or neutrals. I look at where the seller is registered. It definitely affects my buying. I am not saying I would not buy from anyone with a few negs but I do take notice of feedback.

I also give feedback. 

But it is all voluntary, so some will, some won't.

I consider sellers who do give feedback after a successful sale as more professional. Same as I consider sellers who upload tracking details (if applicable) as more professional.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

Just a PS to my comment,  I find about 33% of buyers leave feedback.  

And you know the old saying,  be nice to one customer and they will tell one person,  upset one customer and they will tell 10 people.   So  you need to work hard to get positive feedback, 

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

I always give feedback as soon as the buyer pays.    For several reasons, but one is that it is an easy reference for me  if I am looking for a previous sale, or for a previous buyer (there are other ways I know but this is simple).        I do feedback straight away because I would never remember otherwise.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

I generally give feedback when I mark items posted (untracked) or add the tracking number.

Sometimes I'm a day or two later if I was running a bit late to go into town when posting (I mark things posted once packed, then go into town & post them).

Occasionally I have a feeling that the buyer may be a bit of a problem, so don't give feedback until they have, or not even then in some difficult cases.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

feedback for buyers?  Honestly little to no point at all.  Just automate it.  If a customer leaves you feedback just leave a cookie cutter response "Great customer, thanks for shopping with XYZ"

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Feedback

That' understandable for bigger businesses, but we only have a couple of thousand listings, and like to leave slightly more personal feedback, especially for regular buyers, of which we have quite a few.

We have the time, and it keeps our buyers (and ourselves) happy, so why not.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply