Finding the right price

I basically charge the same for my plants than at markets. I think I should carefully increase my prices. Would you do that incrementally or at once? I, for example charged $5.50 for and alpine strawberry plant a similar item was sold (and it was actually sold!!) for more than $24 plus postage.

Some of my plants are not available on ebay so I look what other nurseries are charging. However, there is a difference between them - and it is NOT the case that the more expensive ones make no business (they are well established however, but I personally had very poor exp[eriences with them - don't tell the name here).

So difficult question - how to find a fair price?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Finding the right price

Personally I like to find these type of plants in Masters or Bunnings for around $5-7 or if on special at $3.

Being eBay which would be a little dearer than a market I think yours are priced well and perhaps you could go to 6.50 and 18.50 for the 3 pack.

Just my view as a vegie patch buyer.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks, some of the stuff I sell you don't find at Bunnings. Some you do. Some plants no one else sells. Maybe I should make more difference between them?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

If no one else sells what you sell then price them at what you want for them.

I used to have a plant nursery and what we bought at wholesale we would add 80% for retail sale.

Bunnings plants used to be only indoor but now they have finally expanded and have let natural light onto the plants

thus having a bigger range of plants.

If you can/could sell them from your home that's the way I would go.

Have some of those flag signs up in your front yard letting poeple know what you're selling.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Try listing some as auction with BIN. The BIN price has to be 30% higher than the auction start price, so if they pay that much you'll know you can afford to put your prices up a bit. You could leave your current listings as BIN and try some combinations as auctions, so that people can see they're getting a better deal with the combinations (if you reduce the price a little bit because of the postage fee savings).

I wouldn't worry too much about what Bunnings and other nurseries charge for the same plants because not everyone lives near one, and some of their stores are much better than others. I used to work in Big W and their garden centre was Big W's best in Australia - miles ahead of their others. A lot of people never visited their local store but would visit ours when they came to visit relatives.

Apart from that, some people prefer buying online than driving through traffic to a Bunnings, or they don't have a car, or they don't like buying from superstores, etc etc etc. I sell for a lot more than my main b&m (bricks & mortar) competitor but not everyone lives near one and I have a much wider range of items.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply