First return request... I thought buyer-fault had the option to refuse?

I've had a request come through for a return on a clothing item. The reason for the return has been stated as 'wrong size or doesn't fit'. My understanding was that I had the option to not accept returns which were buyer-fault reasons like this (but am forced to accept IND cases as those are considered seller-fault) However, among the list of options I have, there is no option to decline return.

Did I understand it wrong? Am I forced to accept returns for wrong size etc? Any help on how to proceed or contest this? I don't know for sure right now but I expect the buyer has likely removed the tag, making the item worth less now than it was when I sold it. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would say you don't have to accept the return if the measurements and size were in the listing. whats the item number?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

That's a bit unfair to you.

I clicked on one of your items and as far as I could make out, you were offering a 7 day money back guarantee, but the buyer was to pay return postage. I would expect that the item would have to be as it was when posted, with tags etc

There is also an ebay guarantee but it seemed to say if a person doesn't receive an item or it is not as described.

In short, I can't see how the buyer has a case to ask for a refund simply as it does not fit. Even if the description is accurate, proper fit is not something you can guarantee.

However, that is my take on it and obviously I don't work for ebay. Maybe you could phone them and discuss it as it does seem unreasonable to me.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Ps As a buyer, one thing I noticed is that in 'My ebay' summaries, the first thing that comes up if I click on a purchased item link is a "return this item' logo.

Now I have never needed or wanted to use it but I am guessing a lot of occasional buyers might assume that a return is a 'right' of theirs. Ebay certainly implies that with their clickable 'return' button.

I am almost tempted to clcik it on one of my past purchases to see what comes up next but I am a bit afraid to in case it registers & i don't want to give a seller grief.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

You are offering a 7 day money back return policy without any conditions  so under your return policy if it is within that time frame then you do need to accept it back.

If you don't want to accept returns for change of mind purchases you need to provide that information under your returns policy or have a no returns policy.

Even with a no returns policy buyers are still entitled to return items if they are not as described.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Looks like i need to go and change some settings as far as my listings return policies go

However, this particular item is outside of the 7 days anyway

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Personally, in this situation, I would accept it back and treat it as a learning experience whether or not it is 7 days or more since they received it as you did offer to accept returns on the listing.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

If it is outside your return allowed time then you do not have to accept a return however I nearly always agree to a return with a refund of item cost only with the buyer paying for the return, I have not had to do it very often but on a few relists of returned items I have sold them for more than the original sale and I have a grateful buyer who may very well buy from me again.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

If you are offering returns, and it is only a matter of timing I would go with it as it creates bad PR over a technicality.

I think a few people get caught over offering returns and not thinking it includes buyer change of mind.

Having change of mind returns will save you the occasional IND return which wil coast you postage and a defect. Especially with second hand as it is always debatable on condition. added to which buyer njeed not prove anything, just state it is.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Unforunately Ebay operates outside Australian consumer law, and what is rational and reasonable.

This is the reply I got from CS (emails)  regarding a "doesnt fit" return (I had 'no returns' on my return policy), right after the buyer had emailed me and said she had changed her mind (it did fit, she just didnt want it). Note: ALL my listings have size plus measurements in CM AND inches -

CS: item listing doesnt describe size or measurements.  Refund required.

Me: You didnt even look at the listing, read the listing, its very clearly in there, and You didnt read the "change of mind" email from the buyer I sent you.

CS: you need to write which country the sizing is from. Refund required.

Me: Australia has no less than 50 size charts - size 16 from Target for example, might be different size to a size 16 from Topshop or from a designer. How will writing a country in there help the buyer?  Also, she stated it wasnt the size, it was because she didnt want it any more, read the email.

No reply from CS. I refused to refund, and got a negative from the buyer. So, I got a defect anyway. When I asked CS to remove the neg due to "change of mind" email and the fact that no refunds was in the contract of sale prior to purchase (i.e in the return policy), they refused.

All this time, all measurements are in the listing - the only ACCURATE way of measurement, and it wasnt the sizing to begin with.

Sooo... youre probably going to lose out either way.  If i was you, Id tell the buyer youd be more than happy to refund as soon as you receive the item back (return post their responsibility), and give them your address. Let them know, it needs to have tracking as proof it was posted so that THEY are covered. be careful of the wording, make sure its a positive experience for them.

Its the only way youll be able to *possibly* avoid a defect from negative feedback.  You can always resell the item.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply