For the love of Shill!

My opinion was sought on the authenticity of bids for the following listing, and in turn I thought I might share it here for the purposes of entertainment, and to illustrate how eBay still allows this sort of thing to go seemingly unchecked.

Take a look at the bidding history for item #202884569822 ( Nikon D D5100 16.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with ADDITIONAL LENS  ) - at the time of me posting this, the winning bidder has a New eBay Member (less than 30 days) next to their censored name, indicating theirs is a new account.

The item in question (a Nikon digital camera kit bundled with an additional lens) ended 29 Jan '20 and positive feedback was left by the seller for the buyer soon after, then reciprocal feedback left for the seller a few days later again. 

Interestingly, despite both the seller and buyer being happy with the transaction as detailed in their respective positive feedback comments, the seller decided to relist the camera again earlier this month (item #202901135414 - Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm lens and THREE batteries ), although that listing was ended by the seller on the 15th.

Similarly, the "ADDITIONAL LENS" from the first listing sold to your new "buyer" ended up with its own listing under item #202901133332 ( NEW IN BOX Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF D Lens ) which also ended up being cancelled by the seller on the 15th, but is now resurrected again under item #202906875681 ( NEW IN BOX Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF D Lens  ).

Also of note, the original "buyer" of the camera package seems to have struck gold with this seller, taking a keen interest and placing bids on a range of electronic, clothing, and nutritional items that seller was offering. Item numbers 202900388715, 202884560424, 202884553102, 202880935029, and 202880931829 all had bids placed on them by that same "buyer". A pity the buyer wasn't a little more aggressive in their bidding, as they've missed out on all five auctions and their activity has only served to cause the eventual top bidder to pay more than they might have otherwise.

Rest assured though, eBay has systems and prcesses in place to prevent shill bidding, so this must all be coincidence!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

For the love of Shill!

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ebay will only take action on shill bidding if it is reported and ebay can see the connection.

Has it been reported yet?

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

Yes, reported twice - once via online chat, and also directly using the 'Report item' link in the descriptions.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

Yes, considering the bidder was bidding on camera, shoes, sporting goods all from the same seller (100%) bids.

Definitely looks like a shill account.

image host
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

Don't be such a cynic, kopes - the seller simply had a wide range of appealing products and an established record of trustworthiness, so naturally any buyer is going to want to stock up on whatever they're selling!

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

Of course, how silly of me to not think of that.

And the level of trustworthiness probably extends to buyer leaving feedback shortly after the auction ends. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

Does it look like item 233481516870 and 333500726743 by same seller are using shill too? They had lots of items bid up too by same then relisted or they upped the bids on lots. I thought this below seems suspicious.......30-Day Summary
Total bids:
Items bid on:
Bid activity (%) with this seller:
100%

Bid retractions:
Bid retractions (6 months):

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

@ford12ford wrote:

Does it look like item 233481516870 and 333500726743 by same seller are using shill too? They had lots of items bid up too by same then relisted or they upped the bids on lots.

Oh gawd...absolutely.  This seller has at least two shill acounts they're using to to inflate the prices.

You should definitely report these listings to eBay - it's exactly this sort of thing that shows how much eBay turns a blind eye to fraudulent bidding as these sorts of bidding patterns are so so simple to detect.

On the listing page you should be able to find a "Report item" link - from here just use the drop down menus to select "Listing practices -> Fraudulent listing activities -> Seller is using other accounts to inflate item price" and click submit.

Do it for as many items as you can be bothered with.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

tazzieterror, please! eBay have sophisticated buyer detection in play, according to them...

We removed the option of blocking buyers with policy violations as eBay’s risk and security teams have evolved the process of tracking buyers with policy violations. [...]

We removed the option of blocking members who are not verified as eBay’s risk and security teams have evolved the process of tracking risky buyers.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

For the love of Shill!

Sleep soundly, I shall;
Shilling sellers shan't survive
eBay's eye evolved.

(Please pardon my pitiful poetic patter)

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply