GST

Is eBay legally allowed to charge you GST when you are selling your second hand items? 

Why does eBay include the postage cost as part of your selling fee and charge you commission + GST on this.

Why does eBay include the overseas tax as part of your selling fee on an international sale!

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: GST

ashi_88
Community Member

What you should be complaining about is;

How the postage amount is applied as a total order amount and then fees' are charged on whole said amount!

Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

Yes, totally agree - not right - should be illegal!

Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

@fromauntylynnie wrote:

Yes, totally agree - not right - should be illegal!

Once again... sigh.... there's that word again.

All selling platforms & those who handle payment processing charge fees on the TOTAL amount.

Message 13 of 39
Latest reply

@ashi_88 wrote:

What you should be complaining about is;

How the postage amount is applied as a total order amount and then fees' are charged on whole said amount!

Mafeking has been relieved.

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

No, I just got annoyed enough and couldn't find anywhere in ebay to actually complain too! ๐Ÿต

Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

LOL,  you say it should be totally ilegal,  but you think it's fine to sell an item for $10,  and charge $45 postage,  for something that through Oz post should be less then $10.   Me think it's the pot calling the kettle black to suit themselves.   

Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

I do not have any items at $45 postage??  The highest is $15 and that is because of weight and size!

Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

Think we are back to Khartoum.

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

No one is suggesting that you are listing with $45 postage, but part of the reason the fees on postage came in was because a lot of sellers were. Sellers who listed with free postage were paying fees on the entire amount. Other sellers would list for 1c with $99.99 postage. They would only be paying fees on the 1c, which is basically impossible. They had to be stopped. And they were, for the most part. Some sellers still try it on, and then get a big surprise when they realise that the fees also extend to the postage cost.

As for GST, you are only paying GST on the FEES for the postage, not the postage amount. So, if you charge $9 for postage and the fees are 90c, you're only paying GST on the 90c (I know fees are a little higher than that, I was just trying to simplify it).

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

Lets all please remember Ebay is not there to help individuals to grow and prosper in a so called free market place. 

Ebay is just a platform to control and make profit as fast and as much as it/they can. 

They as reps for this platform will do what they are paid to do......... Profit, more profit and control the profit of others. 

Ebay takes close to $10.000 Australian dollars a year in fees from My little Ebay store. It is a one man show. Now the Australian Tax office want to tax me 33% what I have left, thanks to PayPal contacting the tax office and advising the tax office of my Ebay Store.

I am to soon end my relationship with eBay as I cannot afford to keep working for rule makers and deal breakers. Please take heart in knowing what we already know.... The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply