GST

Can someone please explain why Ebay shows a price for an item which doesn't include GST. I often receive offers that look inviting but when I go to check-out Ebay then shows a different price which is then inclusive of GST.

Ebay is able to readily convert overseas pricing to Australian dollars but this price invariably does not include GST. Why?

PS When I was in retail it was unlawful to display a price for an item ex GST !

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

GST

GST

I'm well aware of a charge for GST but I don't believe the GST charge is shown at Ebays will.  

They should ONLY show a price which includes GST no matter wher the item comes from. Any item inported into Australia is subject to GST unless that item has an exemption.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

GST

The price shown can only include a GST component when the page โ€œknowsโ€ the buyerโ€™s delivery address. Until then, you might be in Timbuktu and GST-exempt.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

GST

An eBay member can nominate ANY delivery address, including one in the seller's country. Would you be happy to pay GST on a purchase going from the US to the US? If you were getting your relative there to onforward it to Oz, you would be paying double GST. Okay with that?

eBay can only know where the item is being delivered after a delivery address is provided.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

GST

The law regarding GST for LVI, is different to that for Domestic GST.

GST does not have to be included in an international listed sale price, and can be added to the sale price at time of sale.

Note,  GST  for HVI (over $1000)  remains unchanged and is applied and collected at the border.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

GST

But why does eBay send me an offer in AU$ but if I then want to purchase it, GST is added. Why don't they post the price inclusive og GST?

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

GST

Why don't you ask eBay?

You asked if other members know, and they have explained it to you but you don't like their (factual) replies 

Contact eBay and then let us know what scripted response they give you

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

GST

It was a simple question but the responses were not simple.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

GST

@michaelb8892 wrote:

It was a simple question but the responses were not simple.

eBay CS reps will give you a simple response - though it could well be irrelevant......or more complicated than the responses here.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply