HOW TO BLOCK BUYERS FROM WA/TAS/SA

Does anyone have ani idea how to block buyers from these states-in the preferences there is only options to block countries and not certain  Australian states-after the 6th of may i really do not want to pay extra FVF for buyers from these states-one buyer from Broome for example ruins everything in terms of postage costs.  Any help would be most welcome

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

You can't block buyers from other states, unless you list your items as "pick up only" and even this does not block them, it will just make them look at the location and then (maybe) not buy.

You would be much better to figure out how to use calculated postage so that your buyer from Broome pays the correct postage if they want to buy, rather then figuring out how to stop buyers! They are thin enough on the ground already, without trying to make your buying pool even less.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

I looked at only one of your listings which says FREE postage, yet in the description it says

"BUYER PAYS ALL POSTAGE+PACKING COSTS-THERE IS NO FREE POSTAGE ON ANY OF MY LISTINGS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PHONE/COMPUTER MIGHT INDICATE."

That could be rather misleading/confusing, is there a reason you have even put listings with free postage if you are concerned about potential higher costs of longer distance postage?

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@chezzy wrote:

I looked at only one of your listings which says FREE postage, yet in the description it says

"BUYER PAYS ALL POSTAGE+PACKING COSTS-THERE IS NO FREE POSTAGE ON ANY OF MY LISTINGS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PHONE/COMPUTER MIGHT INDICATE."

That could be rather misleading/confusing, is there a reason you have even put listings with free postage if you are concerned about potential higher costs of longer distance postage?

There was/is a glitch with mobile phones showing free postage for pick up items when doing a general search.

What the Op is doing is called search manipulation and is against eBay policy,(which could end up getting those

listings removed and they will be given a strike against them,(which could affect their selling).

They need to use the calculated postage option,good.gif

The only option for the FVF's on postage is to add it to the item cost,(eg: start at a higher price).

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Yes, I am also aware there are/were a couple of variations on the "free postage" option - I recall we had some problems a few months ago when trying to set up "pick up only" listings. In the end we had to also put PICK UP ONLY in the title to 'help' those browers/bidders who do not bother to read the descriptions....

We had to cancel some listings when we got a run of interstate and even overseas people bidding on our pick-up-only listings.

Glitch or not, the seller is responsible for making things VERY VERY CLEAR - my suggestion is add info to the title or have the important info at the start of the description and not way down the bottom.

Other solutions as has been already suggested: pick up only, or calculated postage. Can you also request for potential buyers to contact you for a quote before placing a bid?

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

which listing did you look at that said this-i'm in the process of adjusting to this new free postage system and a couple might have slipped through

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@a_beautiful_room wrote:

You would be much better to figure out how to use calculated postage so that your buyer from Broome pays the correct postage if they want to buy, rather then figuring out how to stop buyers! They are thin enough on the ground already, without trying to make your buying pool even less.

I agree with this, but you can actually block specific regions and states - some states you can only block entirely, other states are divided into metro, regional and remote areas, which you can choose to block individually. The other option is to use rate tables. 

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/shipping-costs.html#where 

I was playing around with the options the other day just to try and see how it works, and I was only able to access the option to block domestic regions after I had created a rate table, but then I was able to switch back to flat rate and still block by region.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

At the moment I can not locate the item that prompted my response BUT there is another example - several items which ended on the 29th April

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

All the listings I've looked at that you  have as Free Postage also have some 'Additional Payment Instructions' at the bottom of the Description.

Sellers cannot add extra costs after the item is sold. If you offer free postage ( and I'm reading it on my computer not 'phone or ipad) which is also in your listing under Postage costs - that is what should be supplied.

It may be that all the 'Additional Payments' are already in the item cost - if so I apologise - but perhaps it needs to be made a little clearer that Free Postage is actually Free.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Additional payment instructions are simply that-extra instructions.  There are no extra charges in the additional payment instructions-if you see some extra costs let me know as free postage is just that-free

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply