Has anybody sent package to a C/O Post Office Before

A recent Buyer of mine has a send to address to Elcho Island / Galiwin'ku (Island north of N.T btw) but it's addressed as the following:

("Buyers Name")
C/o post office Elcho Island
ELCHO ISLAND NT 0822

In the Print label section it comes up "There is a problem with the 'Send To' address" but if i change the town/suburb to Galiwin'ku i can proceed but still not sure should i contact the buyer anyway?  Anybody sent to a similar address or same island even? 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Has anybody sent package to a C/O Post Office Before

It looks like AP see it as "Galiwin'ku" so I imagine if you send the package as that (with "Elcho Island" in brackets) then there shouldn't be a problem.

https://auspost.com.au/locate/post-office/NT/Via-Darwin-Mc/0822/Galiwinku-(Elcho-Island)-CPA-561799

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Elcho is the english name and Galiwinku is the name given by the traditional owners near Arnhem Land.

Rural communities often have arrangements with the PO as there may not be deliveries to certain outposts.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I have posted to Elcho Island C/O post office previously with no delivery problems. No label though but with hand written address large envelope

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I once sent a large letter C/O a roadhouse in remote outback SA.

No known problem with that.

You'll find, with issues like Elcho vs Galiwinku, if you get the postcode right the local delivery centre will have the local knowledge needed to get the job done.

If it's a parcel, the correct postcode will also earn you seller protection from PayPal

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I used to live in Arnhem Land and most communities do not have a Postal Service. The mail is flown in once or twice a week and delivered to the General Store/School/Clinic.  

If the Community is large enough they may have a Post Office - as they do on Elcho.

Mail is delivered to the airstrip and picked up by the Post master.

This is usually the only postage address people have and they  just go and collect their mail when the plane delivers.

Do as you suggested and change the township to Galiwin'ku and they will get it eventually.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply