Has everyone just accepted the fees Ebay take from shipping costs??

Have been selling for a long time on Ebay and seen many changes. 2 that I cant get over is taking the power away from sellers to leave honest negative or neutral feedbacks for buyers and the other is charging us fees on freight that I make no money on. Aas everyone knows, Australia Post and couriers due to greed and fuel costs are at criminal prices currently. one example....I sell a large item yesterday for $44.95. $8.80 Ebay fees! $4.84 of that was on the freight. Yes, it was expensive but I dont pass it on to my buyers so I dont lose even more due to rising freight costs! Add on the Paypal fees and there is $13.25 in fees for a $44.95 item. It's crazy. 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@yeoldecoinco wrote:

eBay has more sellers than they know what to do with or show their listings 24/7

In the past 10 years listings on eBay have increased by many millions if not billions of listings..

The buyer is king and nothing will be done by eBay to potentially drive away buyers...

That is life, we go with the flow, or we go insane..

yeoldecoin, 100 kudos for your posts.

OP no I still dont like the FVF on postage costs, but I understand ebay are not actually making a fortune, considering the size of the company. ( their recorded profits according to the U.S stock exchange are less than any of the single big four Australian banks make ) If they didnt introduce the FVFon postage they would have to raise commissions on items sold by perhaps 50%. Either way, some-one pays. I make sure my postage costs are high enough, that the buyer pays, not me.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

As enigmabear said, you just have to read the boards for a while to know that many of the changes have been controversial, and have been discussed a lot.

It isn't so much that sellers love paying extra fees on shipping costs, rather that it has become a fact of life for those wanting to sell on ebay so they work around it.

From my perspective as a buyer mainly, I like ebay better now than how it was a few years back. I know I am probably paying a little more for goods because fees have to be factored in, but at least now i can pay via paypal and I am given some indication of when my item will arrive. If I don't receive it (which has never happened once when i pay with paypal) then I know i can put in a claim. I feel it is much safer for a buyer.

Even back in the day when i was a seller, I could see how some sellers abused the ability to give feedback to buyers. They would blatantly give a neg if they got one. So, for no good reason. This was in the days before paypal when no buyer could open a case of any kind for any reason or give star ratings, all they had was feedback. Some sellers used it as **bleep** for tat. no wonder ebay put a stop to it.

Then there were the sellers who listed things at $1 and $99 postage in a blatant attempt to rip off ebay & I suppose quite a few of them got away with it till ebay introduced fees across the total price. They could hardly have encouraged 'free postage' until they did that either.

If I were still selling a lot, I'd be more worried about other things- the tendency for some buyers to open not as described at the drop of a hat etc & get away with it.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am at a loss to understand why sellers make such a fuss about the fees, be it ebay fees or paypal fees.

If you do your homework and build your fees into the item price and the postage your buyers will be paying those fees.

I don't see many buyers coming to the boards screaming every time there is an increase in the ebay/paypal fees.....and it is not because we don't know about it.  Just reading the seller's reactions to increases is enough to alert buyers that they will be seeing price rises in the near future.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I don't see many buyers coming to the boards screaming every time there is an increase in the ebay/paypal fees.....and it is not because we don't know about it.  Just reading the seller's reactions to increases is enough to alert buyers that they will be seeing price rises in the near future.

Why would they? Buyers might ultimately cover the costs of selling when they buy an item, but they have to actually buy it first - they don't have to purchase items on eBay, if something gets too expensive here, many times there's 50 other cheaper options for them, and sellers aren't always in a position to just tack on whatever the extra costs work out to be. 

If my selling costs increase and I adjust my prices to accomodate it, buyers can take it or leave it, and there will always be buyers who choose to leave it, which can impact on sellers greatly and ultimately reduces the feasibility of a business on eBay, even more so a hobby. Increased costs to sell items don't make those items worth more in a buyer's eyes, especially if those costs aren't mirrored across all retail platforms - never has, never will. 

I can't even remember the last time I raised prices to get more money for myself, it's aways because eBay or Australia Post, or my suppliers want more money. There have been increases I've had to absorb, or that have forced me to drop product lines unless they were ok to keep around as loss leaders. I'm not complaining about this, as such, that's the nature of business, and I just have to keep working at making sure I keep choosing items that can still be marketable with every increase, but it isn't just a simple matter of increase to costs = just get buyers to pay for it, because buyers have to be willing participants in that scenario.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply