Help me with this dispute please!

I sold a fitbit, its brand new in original box. Buyer paid, I posted it. The following day, the buyer started asking me questions about the warranty. I explained that its 12 months but we've had it in our house for a month already, have lost the receipt so cannot tell you the exact date it was purchased. However, I imagine the warranty will commence once he opens it and syncs it to his fitbit account.

Anyway.... he has submitted a dispute, he wants to return it. He hasn't even received it yet!! He says it's second hand, does not match description or photos. Again, he hasn't even received it yet!! 

I now have three business days to resolve the dispute (by which stage he still probably won't have received it). I feel I am about to be ripped off by $250 ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Help me with this dispute please!

The first thing I would try is contact eBay (online chat) and explain the buyer hasn't even received the package yet (meaning there is no basis or justification for an item not as described case) and is absuing the request system - they may close the case straight away (hopefully, anyway). 

If you need to (eg the eBay rep starts encouraging you to accept the return anyway), point out that your listing said no change of mind returns, and since the buyer can not determine the condition of the item yet, it's clearly a change of mind, thus further abuse of the request system.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you, I will do that this morning. I have decided I'm happy to refund the item, as long as he pays return postage. I'm just worried now that with only 3 business days to resolve the case, he won't have even received it by then. Will come back and let you know how I go.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I second digi's advice to dispute the case based on the fact the buyer is abusing the system. Once it's closed, *then* consider whether you'll accept the return.

Keep in mind that even if the buyer pays return shipping, you'll still get stung $7.58 by PayPal, as they don't refund their transaction fees you were charged for the buyer's original payment.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I'm downsizing prior to an interstate move & have been to Cashies (not sure if I can give the full name here) & they accept fitbits only brand new in box & frm what I saw the price they pay is $150 to $250 per item; depending on model. (Now I'm only going upon the wall sign I saw instore prior to all this Covid thing. I've not owned such an item.

My bad customer radar is tingling with your OP scenario--- What's to say they sell the BNIB one & return a faulty device to you?

Sorry but I've been bitten by unscrupulous buyers before & it cost me money..Fraudulent buyer (known to Police); Bought a $300 doll & sent back a cheaper one & a box of sand to make up the weight, in my own packaging. Paypal sided with the buyer - despite my Police report. I relied on Police help which; In hindsight; Was stupid of me!

Keep your wits about you & don't assume everyone is as nice as you. This is what I have learned over many years of trading on E-Bay

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply