Help needed for difficult US buyer

Hi, l recently sold a bag to the US item number 322585591428 buyer received bag and is claiming it needs professional cleaning and requested a refund of $80. Which l agreed to and refunded yesterday this morning I have received a nasty message claiming she wants $100USD for the bag to be cleaned which l am not happy about she paid  $355AUS for the bag. I sent it express which cost $62 and stupidly postage was free. It's simply not worth the grief l virtually got nothing for the bag once eBay and PayPal fees are taken out. My issue is a buyer has to be refunded in the currency they bought the bag in and l feel like l am being taken for a ride any ideas of how to proceed some help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Personally I would send a message along the lines of - 

Dear buyer,

With respect I have already refunded the amount you asked for and am not prepared to keep refunding.

Either use the funds I already refunded to have the bag cleaned or kindly return the bag and I shall refund the balance of the full amount.

Kind regards,

If you refund further there is a chance they will ask for something else seeing you as a soft target.

If they are being nasty, you probably can't avoid a neg anyway you proceed so I wouldn't play into their hands.

Don't know if this is the case but some people just don't know how to be reasonable.

Hope you have already blocked them from any further buying.

image host
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

@onlyauthenticplease wrote:

Hi, l recently sold a bag to the US item number 322585591428 buyer received bag and is claiming it needs professional cleaning and requested a refund of $80. Which l agreed to and refunded yesterday this morning I have received a nasty message claiming she wants $100USD for the bag to be cleaned which l am not happy about she paid  $355AUS for the bag. I sent it express which cost $62 and stupidly postage was free. It's simply not worth the grief l virtually got nothing for the bag once eBay and PayPal fees are taken out. My issue is a buyer has to be refunded in the currency they bought the bag in and l feel like l am being taken for a ride any ideas of how to proceed some help would be much appreciated.

I had a look at the ad. You had a lot of photos & it looked fairly clean to me.

The things in your favour

-lots of photos

-you mentioned some spots and marks in the ad and had photos

-you said good pre owned condition, you didn't claim it was perfect.

I would not be refunding any more, I would say that some marks were mentioned in the ad and if she had changed her mind about wanting the bag, she should return it for a full refund of the balance, as Kopes suggested.

The way i am looking at it is this: Even if she opened a not as described claim to return the bag instead of having it cleaned, you would be better off. She could send it registered but not express and I know you might have to pay the return postage if ebay ruled in her favour (which is not a 100% given, since you did mention marks in the ad), but even so, you would not be $80 out of pocket as presumably the postage return would be under $62.

I don't think you have anything to lose by refusing to refund a cent more & calling her bluff, saying you are sorry she is not 100% happy, some minor marks were mentioned in the ad but if she would like to return it for a full refund, she can.

I don't know what it is with bags, but I wouldn't be keen to sell internationally, although i know for high end names it might widen the market. but from what I see (and what happened to us) is overseas people often try for a partial refund & because the return postage costs are high, I think they are more likely to get a bit from sellers just to avoid costs & shut them up.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply