Help needed setting up postage calculations

fimacq
Community Member

Hi,
Im trying to set up a new listing and offer combined postage for multiple items. 
I have set up a rates table (see attache pic) with 7.95 as the base rate for the item and then once the purchaser adds more than 8 of the item into their cart (which is likely) the shipping weight will go over 500g so I need to move up to the next bracket. I have worked out on auspost how much extra it will be for the increase in weight and placed that in the second column for each state. However, now when i look at my listing online, the postage comes up as the total of both amounts (eg. $11.95 to NSW for purchases of 1 of the item or 15). Can someone please guide me to how I set it up so the $7.95 is the initial pricce and the price then goes up depending on how many they add to the cart please? I would also like to add a $1 handling fee for the packaging boxes needed for this item onto every sale as well.

Hope that all makes sense! 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Remember ebay is going to take about 80 cents out of the $7.95 you receive for postage.  You have to figure that and all other packaging and processing costs into what you charge for postage.  If you dont include it in the postage, then you have to incorporate it into your sale price,  Unless you like giving money away.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I don't know very much about rate tables, so you've probably already considered or done the following, but just in case...

I'm guessing the handling fee would need to be included in the base rate, since that will apply once, on every separate parcel. 

Is the weight of the items themselves put in to the listing correctly? There's a spot in the postage section of the listing form where you can put in package weight and dimensions, so the rate tables should be calculating based off the data that's put there.

Not having explored the tables in depth, I'm not 100% sure how this affects the results, but in the info it says "If you chose the kg weight option, please note that the first weight break is set to 1kg, even if the actual weight of your item is lower." It is probably poorly worded, but to me it kind of sounds like the base rate plus the rate for 1kg is added together to get the initial total for one item, but then that wouldn't explain why the postage cost isn't increasing on 15 items - when you're testing the calculation, how are you doing it? The best way is to go into the postage tab, enter a quantity and postcode and then click "Get rates!"

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I don't know if you are trying to set up a listing for multiple items (can't help you there) But if you are just wanting to offer combined postage, this is how I do it. List each item separately, select "calculated postage" when setting up, and add the cost of your box under "handing charges". This will automatically calculate to the buyers location for you and add the handling charge. (eg if the box is over 500 grams, someone in your state will see a differnt postage cost than someone in another part of the Country.  State that you offer combined postage and to wait for an invoice before paying.  Then the buyer uses the cart, puts their items in, requests total.  You can then go to the Australia Post website and check the total cost, after reboxing the items together measuring and weighing it.  Send invoice with the revised amount. AFTER being paid., If you print the label, it realizes the buyer has bought more than one item, and allows you to change the size of the box and the weight and will calculate the postage, which will be lower than what you were quoted by Australia Post website, because you get a discount for printing your label, the cost of the postage label is then added to you eBay fees in your next statement. This discount is rightly kept by you.  I hope this helps, This sounds complicated, but is in fact really easy.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I don't know if you are trying to set up a listing for multiple items (can't help you there) But if you are just wanting to offer combined postage, this is how I do it. List each item separately, select "calculated postage" when setting up, and add the cost of your box under "handing charges". This will automatically calculate to the buyers location for you and add the handling charge. (eg if the box is over 500 grams, someone in your state will see a differnt postage cost than someone in another part of the Country.  State that you offer combined postage and to wait for an invoice before paying.  Then the buyer uses the cart, puts their items in, requests total.  You can then go to the Australia Post website and check the total cost, after reboxing the items together measuring and weighing it.  Send invoice with the revised amount. AFTER being paid., If you print the label, it realizes the buyer has bought more than one item, and allows you to change the size of the box and the weight and will calculate the postage, which will be lower than what you were quoted by Australia Post website, because you get a discount for printing your label, the cost of the postage label is then added to you eBay fees in your next statement. This discount is rightly kept by you.  I hope this helps, This sounds complicated, but is in fact really easy.

Everything you've said is irrelevant to the OP's question.  The first line of their question says this:

I'm trying to set up a new listing and offer combined postage for multiple items. 

OP, unless things have changed I don't think you can set it up to work the way you want.  I spent a long time on it a couple of years ago and I could only get it to calculate correctly if people bought one or two items.  Any more than that and they'd end up paying too much postage.  My items weighed about 1.3kg and two could fit in a 3kg satchel, but three needed a 5kg satchel.  Nobody ever bought three but when I tested the listings I think it showed postage as twice the cost of a 3kg satchel. 

They say they've improved their rate tables but I couldn't see much difference when I looked recently, but perhaps someone else can help you.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply