Hi I am in AU and ebay are charging DOUBLE the GST TAX on my checkout is this legal (sarcasm) ?

YES EBAY IS CHARGING GST TAX ON POSTAGE NOT ITEMS AT MY CHECKOUT  AU 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi I am in AU and ebay are charging DOUBLE the GST TAX on my checkout is this legal (sarcasm) ?

Yes,  GST also applys to the postage component  and sellers or shipping companies who are required to collect and remit  GST for low value imports, are also permitted to add any fee they like for doing so.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The GST on your invoice is correct.....10% of the item and postage.

You are lucky the seller is sending the item direct to you rather than through the GSP.....there would have been further charges for them to collect the GST.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

genrel
Community Member

GST should only be charged once...at the Post Office. We are paying twice on Ebay as Ebay is ALSO charging GST on the same service for the same item. This may not bother some of you as you are too thick to think about it. It is bad enough we are paying fees on a service Ebay does not provide which I find highly illegal. Don't be surprised if Ebay doesn't windup in Court over fraudulent fee charges. The recent Backpacker's case has opened doors. Personally I'm over this place. They can't even get their version of Australia Post's delivery system to work correctly...I still have an item showing as not delivered yet when Australia Post's own site states it was delivered last Friday. We are paying for rotten service while  being ripped off. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

You have such a lovely way with words.  Dont let the door hit you on the way out

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Daydreams, they were expressing similar feelings 7 years ago about eBay but are still buying and selling on the platform, go figure.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@genrel wrote:

There seems to be a load of morons on here. 

There is no need to talk about yourself like that.

Some of your previous posts have already confirmed that.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

What a delightful child they are 

Sure hope they pick up all those toys they threw out of the pram

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@genrel wrote:

There seems to be a load of morons on here. GST should only be charged once...at the Post Office. We are paying twice on Ebay as Ebay is ALSO charging GST on the same service for the same item. This may not bother some of you as you are too thick to think about it. 

If you believe this, wouldn't the solution be to not use eBay's postage services?

A lot of people accuse eBay of charging GST on postage twice because they pay GST on the FVF and then GST on the postage service, and don't seem to be able to understand that GST on the fee that's applied to the sale total is not the same as the GST that's included in the postage price. 

So, here's the thing - I'm a GST-registered seller who has supplied my ABN to eBay. When I sell an item on eBay, no GST at all is applied to any of my fees. 

If eBay were illegally applying GST to fees on postage, my GST status would be irrelevant, for a start. Also, they couldn't be claimed as a credit if a GST-registered seller decided not to supply their ABN and pay it to eBay. 

Do you think no GST-registered eBay seller has been audited since this legislation was introduced? No tax agent has looked at the financials, seen all the GST charges / claimed credits and gone "wait a minute, something's "highly illegal" here..." 🤔

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

OP, if you can suggest a better way of eliminating postage piracy then

please tell eBay about it.

All sellers would erect a monument to you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply