How come an Australian seller can offer free shipping?

How come an Australian seller can offer free shipping even the item located in Australia??

For example, seller post their phone cases and screen protectors for free.

Anyone can figure it out for me?

Thanks

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

@davewil1964 wrote:

As crikey said, this thread is NINE months old. Dragging up threads that old, especially ones that contain specific information that may well have been overtaken by events is fraught. And can make the dragger look less than wise.

The cost of posting my 500g satchels has just gone down to $6.95, the same price as posting a 500g parcel using your own packaging.

Yeah, but they charge $2.95 for signature on arrival. I want to skip that but what if the customer claim they never receive the item?

Message 41 of 54
Latest reply

@calvin78916 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

As crikey said, this thread is NINE months old. Dragging up threads that old, especially ones that contain specific information that may well have been overtaken by events is fraught. And can make the dragger look less than wise.

The cost of posting my 500g satchels has just gone down to $6.95, the same price as posting a 500g parcel using your own packaging.

Yeah, but they charge $2.95 for signature on arrival. I want to skip that but what if the customer claim they never receive the item?

pick one thread to ask a question in LOLOLOL

for every sale, build in 20c into the price. Toss that 20c into a jar.

then when something goes awol, replace with money from the jar.

It's the simplistic model of how stores handle loss, theft and damage.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 42 of 54
Latest reply

@calvin78916 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

You don't have to prove delivery, you only have to prove postage.

I have yet to have anything go missing or a buyer claim not to have received an item. In a bit over 1000 transactions. if you start worrying about protection for low value items, you'll price yourself out of the market.

Message 43 of 54
Latest reply

you always need to worry about protection.

*smirk*

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 44 of 54
Latest reply

I'm just wondering how is this possible? Which courier do you use?

"Screen protectors are only 60c to post if there is not a bilk amount being sent and the covers are only about $2 to post so the price is built into the item cost."
Message 45 of 54
Latest reply

@duckyaya1008 wrote:

"Screen protectors are only 60c to post if there is not a bilk amount being sent and the covers are only about $2 to post so the price is built into the item cost."

It's not possible now since this thread is 4yo and minimum postage is $1. This is a prime reason why dead threads should be left buried. The information is very outdated. That said, it is still possible for sellers to incorporate the cost of postage in the item. If the item they are selling is $1 and postage is $1, then they'll list it for $2 with free postage.

You do know that there is no such thing as free postage don't you? Or are you assuming that some sellers have found a way to send things for nothing, therefore being able to list free postage?

Message 46 of 54
Latest reply

@duckyaya1008 wrote:

No courier would ever have given those prices even 4 years ago.

Those prices were for Australia Post but they are well and truly out of date now.

Message 47 of 54
Latest reply

I've seen numereous t shirts on Australian ebay sites offering free postage, eg. Gildan ring spun t shirt for $8.50 including postage. The cheapest rate listed by ebay for postage is $7.15, I know that shirt costs about $3.50ea so the seller is making a loss of $2.15ea. All the shirts on that site were postage free. Are these people mad how can they be making any money. Am I missing something here?

Message 48 of 54
Latest reply

there's the possibility that even though their location shows as being "australia" - they could be shipping out of china. that's the most likely explanation :]

Message 49 of 54
Latest reply

@bernie5055 wrote:

I've seen numereous t shirts on Australian ebay sites offering free postage, eg. Gildan ring spun t shirt for $8.50 including postage. The cheapest rate listed by ebay for postage is $7.15, I know that shirt costs about $3.50ea so the seller is making a loss of $2.15ea. All the shirts on that site were postage free. Are these people mad how can they be making any money. Am I missing something here?

The seller you are referring to, is based in the UK.

Who knows how they are doing it.

Knock offs?

Message 50 of 54
Latest reply