How consistent is Australia Post Tracking on regular parcels?

jplus*
Community Member

Hi,

I don't know if I heard here or at AP. But AFAIK postal workers (contracters) aren't obligated to "Scan Events".

I remember once a yellow sticker was put on my parcel with "Scan Events". Thats when it was extra to pay for "tracking"...a Yellow sticker!

In the past I've sold an Item sent via Parcel Post and had only the initial branch scan, yet the customer received it in QLD.

I recently sold a coin however I mentioned signature in the main listing when it should've been an extra option.

So I sent it with signature.

If the scanner doesn't work or the barcode gets damaged, I can understand.

Whenever I bring it up with a surly AP worker I get the same answer "Yes". But I have a couple of experiences wheres its been "No".

Having a tracking number by default is a great idea with all parcels, but its pretty unreliable imho.

I have a couple of tracking # that show the parcel is still siting in the branches outbox...

What are other peoples experience?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How consistent is Australia Post Tracking on regular parcels?

@australiapoststore wrote:

Hey Guys,

You've raised some great questions regarding our tracking systems. 

@sportandplay, you’ve pretty much hit the nail on the head. I almost don’t have anything to add to that. Thanks.

For more info please visit http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/our-tracking-service.html

If you guys have any more specific questions please let me know. If you have issues with a tracking number for a quick response, get in touch with us via twitter or Facebook J

-Rory

Can you specify what exactly was hit on the head? If its the Big "Please scan events" sticker, well I can do that...have a color laser printer too...I think yellow ink is expensive..BUT IF YOU SAY SO! 😉

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Any click & send that I've checked have shown - manifested, lodged, at delivery centre, with driver, delivered.

I don't use standard postage for parcels, so I can't help you with that.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I don't know how consistent the scanning is as I only check the tracking info if someone is chasing a parcel.

Since the introduction of tracking on all parcels I think the number of items not being scanned has reduced.  We stick big Please Scan labels on to all parcels and haven't had to chase any missing parcels so far this year.

If you're sending a coin at Large Letter rate and using the Registered stickers make sure you ask for it to be scanned on lodgement.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Hey Guys,

@sportandplay, you’ve pretty much hit the nail on the head. I almost don’t have anything to add to that. Thanks.

For more info please visit http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/our-tracking-service.html

If you guys have any more specific questions please let me know. If you have issues with a tracking number for a quick response, get in touch with us via twitter or Facebook J

-Rory

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@australiapoststore wrote:

Hey Guys,

-Rory

Can you specify what exactly was hit on the head? If its the Big "Please scan events" sticker, well I can do that...have a color laser printer too...I think yellow ink is expensive..BUT IF YOU SAY SO! 😉

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Hey jplus2013,

Haha. I was just referring to the point of reminding them to scan the items. They definitely should be doing it themselves. If you find there is a Post Office that has a habit of not scanning articles please let us know and we’ll follow it up with the Area Manager.

Have a great day mate.

Rory K.

Australia Post eBay Team 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I always have to ask - forgot last week & the registered letter went out without scanning & didn't get scanned till it reached its destination ysty.

I also have had a C&S satchel 'In Transit' since Sep 30, but I received feedback today, saying fast post, so probably the buyer got it within a couple of days (still in transit on the AP site).

I also had the C&S satchel go walk-about for 24 days including coming back to me, but it hadn't been kept long enough anywhere, just 1 or 2 days at the most & not at the PO for which it was destined,

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thankfully I have only a few parcels go missing, but to be honest I've found Scanning has made no difference. Each time it has happened the I/Net Tracking site only shows "Rec'd at local PO" & nothing else. Any enquiry at my local only gets a shrug of the shoulders & if I'm lucky the usual reply of "It'll turn up", which of cause is of no use to me or my customers who want their goods.

Even lodging a Missing Parcel Report seems to get nowhere. So I guess the answer to your question is, I don't know how consistent it is but nothing has really changed as it doesn't seem to work anyway.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply