How do I re-refund a buyer after PayPal refund bounced?

I had to refund a buyer after Aust Post lost their item, but the payment bounced as there was no money in that account.  

How do I do the refund again?  I can’t see any option in ebay or PayPal to redo it immediately.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have you put money into your paypal account?  No point in doing the refund again if there are no funds available.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Wait to get more sale until enough funds then you can refund the buyer from that original payment, this way you get the PayPal payment refunded.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Yes, once I realised what I’d done, I transferred the amount immediately, but it was too late. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Kpan, it’s not possible for everyone, but it’s a good idea to alway have a contingency amount in your account.

Things happen 🙂

Melina.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I'm not sure what has happened to OP but if a refund is given through PayPal and there isn't any funds in PayPal then the refund still goes through and a negative balance is placed in the PayPal account and then PayPal asks you to deposit the funds to get out of the negative balance.

Also PayPal try and retrieve those funds from your bank account 5 days later if it fails the first time.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Well, to finish this off.  

The buyer opened a case with ebay as the first refund was cancelled.  Ebay then closed the case as Australia post said the item was delivered to the buyer.    But, I had opened a case with Aust Post as the buyer said it wasn’t delivered, and now Aust Post has sent me a refund saying they can’t prove it was delivered.  🤔

I have redone the refund with money in the account so hopefully it’s all sorted and goes away.

Many thanks.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I would think it better to do the refund via ebay and cancellation of the original ebay oder.

That way the buyer is automatically refunded from your PayPal account (if they paid that way) and you will be credited any Final Value Fee (FVF) from the ebay transaction.

When you refund directly from PayPal then you do not automatically get a refund of your FVF.

You need to then call ebay after the PayPal refund has been processed to get them to do a manual fee credit.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply