How do you make a complaint about eBay to eBay

glissell
Community Member

eBay sends me an email and it says I can advertise my first item free so OK up goes the add for my car and I find I get hit with a $10 charge then great news you’ve sold your item, well then I get hit with another $60 charge on a $700 dollar item. Firstly sending me an E-mail telling me my first item is free is FALSE ADVETISING, secondly $70 on a $700 item is outrageous and thirdly all these charges should come up on the screen when you are setting up the add so that you know what you are up for. This will be the first and last item I put up for sale on eBay; I will stick to Gum Tree.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Not all categories are free to list and when you do the listing you are told what the cost is to list it (if any) and you are also told what the final value fee will be if it sells.

Now if you go to the site map at the bottom of every ebay page it is all there for you to know before you list what the fees are.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Actually the cost of your listing AND the fee if sold are told to you BEFORE you confirm listing.

I am sure someone will come along with a screenshot of it but it states your listing cost is $xxxxx and that you will be charged $xxxxx if your item sells.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Final value fees are $60 flat rate and it depends what the insertion fee is according to the catagory you listed in then you add these amounts together and that's your fees.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
Lol ... Like everyone else said
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

all of ebays offers are subject to Terms and Conditions, did you read those terms before listing?

for example, the last STORES Only free offer I acceptd had the following exclusions, which of course I read thoroughly before listing

What is excluded?

• This Promotion does not apply to “Excluded Categories” which include Businesses for Sale (11759), Aircrafts (63676), Boats (26429), Caravans/Motorhomes (32633), Cars (29690), Motorcycles (32073), Trucks/Commercial Vehicles (6049), Real Estate (10542), Services (316), Flights (3253), Tickets (1305), Travel (3252) and Vouchers/Gift Certificates (109191)
  • Final Value Fees, Feature fees, and other fees set out at eBay.com.au are still applicable.
  • For listing in 2 categories, standard rates will be charged for the second category.
  • Sellers with listing restrictions will still be restricted by their listing restrictions and will not be able to participate.
  • Sellers whose accounts do not meet eBay’s minimum performances standards are not eligible to participate in this promotion.
  • Listings that contravene eBay's policies or do not otherwise comply with all of these Terms and Conditions are excluded.
  •  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Putney, they didn't read any of those terms and conditions, simply because they have just outed themselves as not having read the User Agreement upon joining the site. If they had read it instead of just ticking the box and scrolling past, they would know the fees, and the $60 FVF at least, would not have been a surprise.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Actually $70 for a $700 sale is ballpark. Given the general 9.9% FVF.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
For cars it is $8 insertion (minimum with no addons) and a $60 capped fee for the sale of the vehicle. He quoted $70 which included the insertion fee
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

The charges and conditions do come up on my screen when listing items. All you need to do is read the conditions and learn the rules.

I do not normally defend Ebay but in your case you did not read the conditions.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply