How greedy are Ebay?

Is it new that anything posted in records over $100 has a listing price of $3.50 while under $100 is $1.50. I cannot believe how much contempt ebay shows for the very reason that buyers visit, us sellers. We have seen an overall increase in listing fees, postage now included in those listing fees and paypal added to all the fun. They hold me captive and as soon as there is a comparable market place I will be gone

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

How greedy are Ebay?

eBay still has the best traffic by a country mile.

If you are selling an item for 100, it will prob sell for 115.

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

It's been that way for a long time. If you have lots of items that sell for $100 and beyond, it might be worth getting a store account.

That said, at least non-stores get a 30 day BIN option without a store these days though; if you still qualify for the 3 auto-relists it will save you quite a bit since they last for 120 days instead of 40 now. Also, keep your eyes peeled on the forums here; usually there is a 100 free listing bonus half way through every month, among others which you may or may not be eligible for).

Just a random question, how do you send records through the mail without them getting broken in half? Notably, the 45s going for $3 postage. I trust sending DVD cases in bubble mailers (CD cases can be iffy as they are brittle) but I would never have imagined putting a record in a bubble mailer, unless they have a hard protective cover of some sort. Unfortunately my parents' record collection was left in the garage for 10+ years and everything got damp, wrecking most of the covers and leaving everything smelling mouldy. I don't think they are worth anything now, although the records themselves should still be OK (at least the ones which aren't scratched of course).
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

I have received records in pizza boxes....it worked a treat.

I have also had antique plates packed in pizza boxes.....very handy things those pizza boxes.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

how greedy? very greedy. but they have no competition so you suck it up or leave. no one forces us to list on ebay. when you find a better place to list/sell let us all know.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

Most members are entitled to 40 free listings per calendar month.  I've read there are some restrictions to 10 for new members, but it seems you aren't in this category.

I cannot remember the last time I paid an insertion fee.  As has been mentioned in another response, there's also the 3-free-auto-relist (if item doesn't sell) box to tick when creating a listing & the regular promo listings.

Why are you being charged $3.50?  Or are you looking at the Final Value Fee of which both eBay & PayPal take a % of the total amount?

There are extra charges when listing, for additional categories or subheadings etc, but you have an option to check on these charges and edit your listing, before you click "list".

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

i hope the pizza was removed first, or if not it was your favorite one.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

@davidc4430 wrote:

Would I be able to get a refund if there were capsicums on the pizza as I hate the things ๐Ÿ™‚

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

Would I be able to get a refund if there were capsicums on the pizza as I hate the things ๐Ÿ™‚

OHHHH YES!!!!! I can't stand those evil little things. Even the smell of them makes me want to gag. It's so hard at work sometimes when people pull out their rabbit food for lunch or dinner and the stench wafts over into my direction. I hate it that much I can't even pick it out of a salad as I can taste it on the other stuff its touched. GHASTLY STUFF!!!

Back on topic, I wonder if the OP has gone over their 40 free listings for the month, so are now being charged insertion fees? If that's the case OP, hold off listing any new items until tomorrow when the new 40 allocation for the month kicks in. Once you've used your 40 for the month, don't list anything else until you are either offered a free listing promotion, or it's a new month. No-one has to pay insertion fees if they keep an eye on what they are listing.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

How greedy are Ebay?

@theladsong wrote:

Is it new that anything posted in records over $100 has a listing price of $3.50 while under $100 is $1.50. I cannot believe how much contempt ebay shows for the very reason that buyers visit, us sellers. We have seen an overall increase in listing fees, postage now included in those listing fees and paypal added to all the fun. They hold me captive and as soon as there is a comparable market place I will be gone

I would like to know where else you can advertise an item for sale over the whole of Australia for $3.50. You may get one letter out of one word for that if you used a national newspaper.

I too haven't paid a listing fee for years, can't think why anyone would unless they were sure they could add that much more to an item price and still have it sell.

If you want more than 40 listings a month create another ebay account and then you will have 80 a month free.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply