How to accept an unsolicited offer while auction is running

I'm selling a phone via an auction on eBay Australia. It's currently at about $250 with 6 days to go. There's no "Make an Offer" or "Buy it Now" buttons on my listing. Nevertheless, I've received an unsolicited and acceptable much higher offer via a direct message. The buyer has 100% feedback as a buyer and has been a member for 10 years, so he seems legit.

But (as I've never accepted an offer during auction before) I'm not sure how to do this and keep eBay happy. The only way I can think of to do this, would be to kill the auction and re-list with a fixed price and tell the guy to go for it.

Is that how it's done?

NB: I've read that in some countries, or at least the US of A, there are "Make Offer" and "Decline/Accept/Make counter-offer" buttons in direct messages, but I've never seen those in my Aussie messages.

Steve

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve,

If you think the offer is legit, what you could do is create a second, Buy-It-Now listing for the phone for the amount offered (or agreed upon) and let the buyer know you'll ony make it available for an hour or two for him to purchase (I'd agree upon a convenient time with the buyer first).

Technically you're not supposed to have two different listings for the same item, but if he buys it you can cancel the auction, or if not, take down the BIN listing. That way you preserve the existing bids on the auction in case he doesn't go ahead with it.

It's difficult for anyone else here to judge the legitimacy of the person contacting you - if they've recenty been active in both buying and selling as you've described that's a good sign.  Check recently sold prices on eBay for the same model phone as you're listing in a similar condition - if the price offered is significantly more than what others have sold for, that's a big red flag that the buyer is likely trouble.

It is pretty normal though for an interested buyer to message with an offer even when 'make an offer' is not activated on a listing.  It happens frequently with me (although I never auction anymore, just sell via BIN) and is often just a sign that someone doesn't want to wait for the duration of the auction, or thinks they might get it a little cheaper this way.

Anyway, good luck!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Buyers can only have 100% positive, eBay does not allow anything else so 100% as a buyer means nothing whatsoever

It is also possible it is a hijacked account 

Has the person been 'active' recently , or does their last feedback show as 'over a year ago'

There have been three cases at least of hacked/hijacked accounts in the past two weeks posted on the forum here, so before you do another thing, please, triple check. Better safe than sorry 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

My apologies, I missed a couple of words. He has 100% feedback as BOTH a buyer AND SELLER. (My emphasis) and he currently has a couple of items for sale. And been active constantly - both selling and buying - for months. 42 positives for selling in the past 6 months. As I said, seems legit.

But thanks for the caution.  

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Phones are one of the most targeting items for scammers.

Is the feedback as a seller and buyer very recent or more than 6 months ago ?

As sandy suggests, it sounds like a hijacked account or they are simply trying to get as much personal details on you.

Ignore any offers and let the auction run.

If the account making the offer was genuine they would place a bid at that amount.

If you think it appears genuine, tell the buyer to bid and if it reaches near his offer, you will then end it in his favour.

You can end an auction to the highest bidder at any time. (outside of 12 hours left)

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Hi Steve,

If you think the offer is legit, what you could do is create a second, Buy-It-Now listing for the phone for the amount offered (or agreed upon) and let the buyer know you'll ony make it available for an hour or two for him to purchase (I'd agree upon a convenient time with the buyer first).

Technically you're not supposed to have two different listings for the same item, but if he buys it you can cancel the auction, or if not, take down the BIN listing. That way you preserve the existing bids on the auction in case he doesn't go ahead with it.

It's difficult for anyone else here to judge the legitimacy of the person contacting you - if they've recenty been active in both buying and selling as you've described that's a good sign.  Check recently sold prices on eBay for the same model phone as you're listing in a similar condition - if the price offered is significantly more than what others have sold for, that's a big red flag that the buyer is likely trouble.

It is pretty normal though for an interested buyer to message with an offer even when 'make an offer' is not activated on a listing.  It happens frequently with me (although I never auction anymore, just sell via BIN) and is often just a sign that someone doesn't want to wait for the duration of the auction, or thinks they might get it a little cheaper this way.

Anyway, good luck!

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

P.S. Change the title of the listing slightly and a few words in the description otherwise the second listing might get flagged as duplicate.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice TT. I did exactly what you suggested and... no response from the offeree. So the caution in some other answers here, was justified. 

Your thoughtful reply very much appreciated. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply