How to factor in taxation ebay.

Is it 10% of the total price I must pay tax?

Does the ebay calculator include the paypal feed?

Do i calculate the paypal fees by deduction the ebay fee from the original sale price and then using the calculator?

Thanks.

So in reality it is 26% I must cover.

10% tax

12% ebay

4% paypal.

Is that right.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to factor in taxation ebay.

Are you GST registered?

If so, then 1/11th of the total price (item + postage) goes to the ATO as gst for domestic sales (0 for overseas sales).

Paypal and ebay fees are based on the total (item price + postage) payed by the buyer.

Neither paypal or ebay pay gst so you can't claim gst back on their fees...

If you don't have a store then ebay fees should be 10%, paypal 2.6%, gst 9.09%.

But these are all %s of your total (price + postage) sale prices...

Tax to the ATO will depend on your profits (ie sales - expenses) .....

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I think you are confusing GST and taxable income.

You do not need to collect GST until your turnover approaches $75,000 per financial year, which will be hard to do until your store ramps up and you can list more.

However, you have will have to pay income tax on your profits as you are running a store and it is definitely a business. If you were selling 2nd hand items from around the house then you wouldn't need to declare your income, but you are selling new items with the sole intention to make a profit, so you will need to pay tax.

Buy a starter motor for $50, sell it for $115. After removing postage fees, eBay fees, PayPal fees, you might be making $42. This will be the amount you pay tax on, at your marginal rate, maybe 30 cents in the dollar or more, depending if you have other employment.

Of course there will be other part deductions you can use to help reduce paying tax on your $42 profit, such as part of your internet bill, part electricity and rent/mortgage payments if you set up an area of your house to conduct your business. But these costs have to be realistic and worked out with a detailed and professional approach.

The thing to remember is to keep records of everything you buy and sell, as well as your expenses. You will need to be able to prove everything if you have an audit, which is unlikely if your sales are small, but may probably happened as you become a power seller!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Are you GST registered?

If so, then 1/11th of the total price (item + postage) goes to the ATO as gst for domestic sales (0 for overseas sales).

Paypal and ebay fees are based on the total (item price + postage) payed by the buyer.

Neither paypal or ebay pay gst so you can't claim gst back on their fees...

If you don't have a store then ebay fees should be 10%, paypal 2.6%, gst 9.09%.

But these are all %s of your total (price + postage) sale prices...

Tax to the ATO will depend on your profits (ie sales - expenses) .....

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

10%?

You pay tax on every cent once you get past $18k pa. Total taqxable income. Not just eBay sales.

eBay fees are 10% or less; Paypal fees are 30c + 2.6%.

The tax you pay is on your taxable income. Nothing to do with eBay or Paypal.

Are you sure you're ready to operate a business? You don't seem to have any idea.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You originally told us you were running this ebay business on behalf of your uncle.....it is his business.

If this is true then any GST payment should be made by him....not you.

Or was that a pack of lies too?

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I think you are confusing GST and taxable income.

You do not need to collect GST until your turnover approaches $75,000 per financial year, which will be hard to do until your store ramps up and you can list more.

However, you have will have to pay income tax on your profits as you are running a store and it is definitely a business. If you were selling 2nd hand items from around the house then you wouldn't need to declare your income, but you are selling new items with the sole intention to make a profit, so you will need to pay tax.

Buy a starter motor for $50, sell it for $115. After removing postage fees, eBay fees, PayPal fees, you might be making $42. This will be the amount you pay tax on, at your marginal rate, maybe 30 cents in the dollar or more, depending if you have other employment.

Of course there will be other part deductions you can use to help reduce paying tax on your $42 profit, such as part of your internet bill, part electricity and rent/mortgage payments if you set up an area of your house to conduct your business. But these costs have to be realistic and worked out with a detailed and professional approach.

The thing to remember is to keep records of everything you buy and sell, as well as your expenses. You will need to be able to prove everything if you have an audit, which is unlikely if your sales are small, but may probably happened as you become a power seller!
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

These kinds of questions would be better answered by an accountant who can first get a little insight into your business, and provide some tailored advice. (Perhaps the questions themselves aren't, but if they're necessary to ask, then I think you need an accountant's help). 

I think this kind of help is a little too comprehensive for a general discussion forum - I'm not saying there isn't anyone here who could walk you through all the basics of business operation, a lot of people could, but in my humble opinion, the vast majority wouldn't, because that's getting into highly time-consuming billable-service territory, to be perfectly honest.  

As a very rough guide, you pay tax on your income after all expenses. You don't just sell 10 items for $100 and then work out 10% of the total to calculate tax, unless you incurred $0 expenses in the operation of the business.

Income tax isn't 10% though, and GST is something different entirely, not to mention a more exhaustive (if not comprehensive) process, so if you have to be including and paying that, consulting an accountant becomes imperative. 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe the uncle/account owner has NFI either?

Or thinks they can get accountancy/tax services for free here?

Blood will out.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

ahh just sit back and watch them hang themselves......
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

GST threshold = $75000pa

OP has so far sold around $400 

What GST is he talking about?

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

ERG I don't get you because I have read some of your posts on other members threads and you seem to have 

given good advice and it showed to me that you seem to be an intelligent person.

But then you go and start threads and the questions you ask are quite stupid.

IMO I think that you're playing games with members on these boards. 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply