How to improve eBay.au for sellers

I wanted to start a thread where members could suggest things that would improve the selling experience for sellers.  I want this to be a constructive thread and not one that disintegrates into posters having a go at eachother or denigrating suggestions.

We have all seen the multitude of "negs for buyers" threads and I don't want this thread to get into a to-and-fro between those that are for and against negs for buyers and same old arguments repeated all over again.

Most of the suggestions that get posted have probably been posted before, but probably not on a single thread.  If really good proactive suggestions are made then next time eBay send any of us a survey asking "How can we improve?" then we can list the best ideas that are posted here.

I'll kick it off with the next two posts as I would like each post to contain a single concise suggestion without having to be explained too much. After all . . . . . if it has to be explained in detail then it isn't really a simple idea for improving eBay selling.

Readers can give Kudos to those suggestions that they agree with.

Message 1 of 152
Latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

@retailtherapist_8 wrote:

I would really like to see the entire feedback system cleaned up.

It might be simplistic but where no feedback is left for a Seller automated + feedback  & 5  stars across DSRs should be assigned after an appropriate amount of time.

Buyers with NPB strikes receive  an automated red dot for each just saying eg: "Non payment strike" (as I believe others have mentioned)

With all the new changes and imposts on Sellers I would like to have the power to sell or not sell to anyone based on the above changes  fb received & recognising their fb left for others. 

I believe we as Sellers should at the very least have the right NOT to deal with serial offending buyers without having to run the gauntlet of the defect system.

JMHO Thank you" slr" for the opportunity to offer it. 

Smiley Happy

I agree with all your suggestions.

I would also like to add that I think the defect system - apart from the inceredibly insulting terminology - should be revamped entirely. The first step would be to put up some sort of warning message to any buyer who attempts to give neutral feedback that this will result in a defect for the seller, and to reconsider their rating. The same for any 3-star rating given for the DSRs, particularly postage time. There are far too many buyers who are completely ignorant of the effect of neutrals and 3 stars, or simply do not know the defect system even exists.

Message 141 of 152
Latest reply

And some don't care, even when you tell them. They like to think they have the upper hand by trashing your feedback and DSR's. My DSR's managed to get back up to 5 for everything and I was quite chuffed about that.

Then I noticed yesterday my postage time stars were below 5. A buyer had given me 4 stars for postage time because my postage time is 2 days and I posted the same day as payment. While 4 stars isn't a defect, I was still pretty miffed about it. I was proud of my 5 stars for everything and she went and wrecked it because she didn't understand that postage time means how long it took the seller to post, not how long it took the item to arrive.

Which brings me to my next suggestion. The postage time should be made clear to buyers that it is in fact the time it takes the seller to post, NOT how long Aust Post takes to deliver it. I'd say 95% of buyers think it means how long it takes to get to them.

I think I am going to start doing what others have started doing....changing my posting time to 3 or 4 days.

I don't like seeing that missing point off my postage star!!

Message 142 of 152
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

Which brings me to my next suggestion. The postage time should be made clear to buyers that it is in fact the time it takes the seller to post, NOT how long Aust Post takes to deliver it. I'd say 95% of buyers think it means how long it takes to get to them.

The problem is that they do.... There's no room for misinterpretation on the postage time question, but (as I've said before) there's always plenty of room for ignorance - just like "how accurate was the item description?" sometimes magically transforms into "how much do you like the item?", or "how close to reality was your imagined version of this item?"

dsr q's.JPG

Message 143 of 152
Latest reply

I should have checked! Thanks for the screenshot. Doesn't mean the buyer takes notice though, as you said.

You are right about the description. I don't know how many times I've seen a DVD seller negged because the buyer didn't enjoy the movie. Do they actually think the seller produced the movie?

Message 144 of 152
Latest reply

How quickly did the seller post the item also can get hammered when they buy on a Friday afternon or evening.

I send each one of those a message on the Monday after sending the item,stating that it was the earliest time I

could post as we don't have a PO open on a Saturday,(seems to only satisfy some),tease.gif

How reasonable were the postage and hadling charges is the star that seems to get dinged on my

other account,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Apparently 2 buck is a bit much to send one or two DVD's,shok.gif

Message 145 of 152
Latest reply

When I was only charging exact postage, I had my stars dinged a few times. Obviously the label saying $7.20 and me charging $7.20 seemed unfair to some. Since I've put it up to $8 to cover some of the fees, I've had no problems since!

Maybe my buyers were protesting against Aust Post charges, which as we all know, we have absolutely no control over.

Message 146 of 152
Latest reply

Revert back to the ebay of 2002/3..........when there were buyers galore and selling stuff and getting bids was like shooting fish in a barrel !!! I think the whole fad of eBay left the building some time back..................

Message 147 of 152
Latest reply

I would like to see some lateral thinking engaged by the numbnuts who dream up eBay’s new policies.

They’ve obviously opened the wrong door – you know the one where the sign says ‘eBay Customers’.  They seem to think that means ‘buyers’, when in fact it’s the other way about.

Sellers are eBay’s Customers. - the ones who pay all the fees to keep eBay hierarchy and shareholders in the lifestyle that they wouldn’t know how to exist without.

Buyers are the Sellers Customers, not eBay’s -  buyers are the ones who provide a livelihood, and help recycle unwanted goods by purchasing from eBay’s Customer, the Seller.

I wonder why it’s so hard for the numbnuts to work out that they’ve got it totally wrong!!!

Message 148 of 152
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:

I would like to see some lateral thinking engaged by the numbnuts who dream up eBay’s new policies.

They’ve obviously opened the wrong door – you know the one where the sign says ‘eBay Customers’.  They seem to think that means ‘buyers’, when in fact it’s the other way about.

You been reading this...? Smiley Tongue

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2014/10/1414010502.html

If I understand him (Donahoe) correctly - and keep in mind I've read through that article a couple of times yet have absolutely no idea if I do understand - eBay's target customer, as an online shopping venue, is the consumer that likes to buy online but not incur any of the things that are typically necessary with shopping online, like paying for postage costs and/or getting the items delivered. 

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Message 149 of 152
Latest reply

TBH I haven't yet read that.  I will do when I get a few extra spare minutes.

My post was just what I was thinking, that's all.

Message 150 of 152
Latest reply