How to make Professional Looking photos for Ebay?

7 REPLIES 7

es1989
Community Member
Each of the items pictured are most likely taken separately with a good lighting setup and quality camera, and then put together with a Photoshop like programe.

Getting consistent good quality photos can be hard. It is why I reacently paid a small fortune for a good camera, and soon a lighting setup.

If you have a small product range that won't change often it could be worth while paying a photographer?
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

many seller get their pictures from amazon .............

most 90% pictures with white background are from amazon ....

search item then copy and paste ..........

watch out for watermark one of course....

chineses sellers are well known to do this ........

cheer's

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I suspect that image was largely created digitally rather than via photography - the shadows being "reflections" that aren't at any kind of angle show that, and would be a simple matter of placing a mirror copy of the products in the right spot, after removing all colour and reducing the opacity, which is very easy to do with free programs like PhotoFiltre.

You don't necessarily need expensive cameras and lighting set ups to end up with professional looking images - I just have a relatively cheap point n' shoot, but I can end up with pretty decent photos with a bit of editing. The best thing you can do when taking product images is use natural, indirect light, a clean (non-busy) background that contrasts well enough with the product, and then play around in some image editing programs to figure out how you can adjust them (eg exposure settings like brightness, shadows, highlights in Windows Gallery (also free), and colour settings like temperature and saturation). 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

You can use an online service like Clipping Magic to completely remove the background, which makes photos look more like Amazon. Or there are features in Photoshop that can do this too, but can be tricky and time-consuming.  Sometimes could be worthwhile just doing the first gallery photo that shows in the search.

I've noticed it becoming more of a trend in the last year with clothing resellers and also online designers outside of ebay.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Clipping magic now has super easy to apply shadow effects after you have removed background - very, very simple to use  Cat Happy

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

As digital said above, that is done in a photoshop program or similar,
especially the reflection.

And as others have said, many pictures taken off the net, often the makers original images.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

As far as taking photos yourself goes, I use plain sheets for most items (lay the sheet as flat as you can, without folds or creases if possible, and make sure you can't see the floor beneath at all) and white card for smaller things. I set things up beneath a skylight where the light in the house is brightest. I take a bunch of photos of each item, just in case. If there are still issues with the lighting or colour, that's pretty easy to fix with any photo editing software - which I can also use to crop the picture, as sometimes you can still see my toes. That wouldn't look too impressive.

It won't give you the reflections like that photo you posted has, but as far as I can think of, it's the best photos a small-time seller can take in a cost effective manner. (Please, folks, add to this if you have any other tips, because I've probably missed something.)

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply