How to see whether a buyer is scamming you before you approve sale.

Twice now I’ve sold an item, the accounts look fine, but once I approve the sale, the buyer sends a message that includes a different postage email, different names and always ‘for a cousins BIRTHDAY PRESENT’ so they would like it to be sent ASAP. 
obviously this reads as a scam, but as eBay protection for sellers is not great. How can you avoid this?

it’s so frustrating to cancel your order (the reasons why segment doesn’t even feature scam buyers as a reason) and then to relist, have fees charged and to wait till that cancelled item disappears.

So frustrating. Someone help.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

You are selling a high ticket item, with low feedback. Scammers love people like you! I'm guessing the "buyers" are from overseas and want you to send to a different country to their cousin (Nigeria?). You should block people from overseas being able to buy.

Make sure if someone has actually bought the item, that you cancel it to get your fees back. Don't ever accept an offer for more than you have listed the item for. Guaranteed scam. 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If you make your listings Immediate payment then you won't get any NPB's or scammers.

They have to actually pay when they 'buy'

How immediate payment works | eBay

And never change the address.

If they want it sent to a different address then they have to change it in checkout, for you to have seller protection.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply