I Dont Know What To Do Really Need Help With This One...

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I purchased the coin in the pictures about 2 months ago and have done some research and I like and do not like what I read. I have no idea if this is a Fake or the real thing Either way I think I am going to loose. The coin in question is a 1974 Aluminum United States One Cent. This is an abstract from Wikipedia

"The 1974 aluminum cent was a one-cent coin proposed by the United States Mint in 1973. It was composed of an alloy of aluminum and trace metals, and intended to replace the predominantly copper–zinc cent due to the rising costs of coin production in the traditional bronze alloy. 1,571,167 were struck in anticipation of release, but none were released into circulation. Examples were passed out to US Congressmen in a bid to win favor in switching to the new alloy. When the proposed aluminum cent was rejected, the Mint recalled and destroyed the examples. A few aluminum cents not returned to the Mint are believed to remain in existence. One example was donated to the Smithsonian Institution, while another was alleged to have been found by a US Capitol Police Officer. A 1974-D specimen was found in January 2014. Since the United States Secret Service is tasked with the seizure of any specimens, the legality of the coins is in doubt."

Would I be better to forget about it or should I list it on eBay? How would I list it if at all possible?

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/paddy1212/1974AlumPenny1_zps0eni0ouf.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/paddy1212/1974AlumPenny2_zpsljcl8jnw.jpg

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It would appear that it is a fake.

If it were me I would take it to a coin dealer and have it authenticated.

As for listing it on ebay....if you want to keep selling on ebay I would give it a miss.  Fake anything is a no-no on ebay but to list a fake US coin would be suicide as far as your selling career goes.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

If you can get a coin dealer to authenticate that it is fake, you can try and open a PayPal Dispute for the item being fake.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply