I have about 7 or 8 persons that have not left feedback. Some people are just lazy.

I have about 7 or 8 persons that have not left feedback. Some people are just lazy.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@8113jack wrote:

Only 7 or 8? 

You're doing well then, you're ahead of the game.

With a score of close to 900 though, and some of that for sales over the last year, with no negs, you don't have to worry, it's not going to affect whether other people buy from you or not.

If you had a feedback score of only 1 or 2, that's when it really matters the most.

Just go with the flow & enjoy the positive comments from the select few who like to write. And pray that if you ever do strike anyone who isn't 100% happy, they won't think of feedback either.Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

You're doing well if it's only 7 or 8 who have not left feedback.

Most sellers are lucky to see feedback from buyers at all.

I have 3500+ transactions on Ebay and as you can see, my feedback is a touch over 1400.

On another site I sell on , I have approx 600 transactions and my feedback is 95.

It's not a new scenario, but I think it became that way after Ebay removed negative feedback for buyers, more than 10 years ago.

Also, with the huge amount of online buying that now takes place, people just want their stuff and be done with it. They can't be bothered to go back to find every single purchase they made and leave feedback.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@8113jack wrote:

Only 7 or 8? 

You're doing well then, you're ahead of the game.

With a score of close to 900 though, and some of that for sales over the last year, with no negs, you don't have to worry, it's not going to affect whether other people buy from you or not.

If you had a feedback score of only 1 or 2, that's when it really matters the most.

Just go with the flow & enjoy the positive comments from the select few who like to write. And pray that if you ever do strike anyone who isn't 100% happy, they won't think of feedback either.Smiley Happy

Springy, I've noticed you only ever check the total feedback.

Try clicking on 'feedback as a seller'

They've only got 82  - the rest is as a buyer.

I judge my sellers on their selling feedback, not their buying feedback.

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

Springy, I've noticed you only ever check the total feedback.

Try clicking on 'feedback as a seller'

They've only got 82  - the rest is as a buyer.

I judge my sellers on their selling feedback, not their buying feedback.

Smiley Happy Don't worry, I had checked feedback as a seller. That's why I wrote 'some of it for sales over the last year, with no negs". I was aware quite a bit of the total FB was for Jack as a buyer.

What I saw when I clicked on jack's profile is what most other buyers are going to see though-several pages (4) of feedback as a seller and all the first page is positive. And some of it is recent.

Very few buyers are going to sit there and count the exact number of FB as a seller. If there are no negs, then they are unlikely to even check past the first page (set at 25 on my screen). Four pages  will be enough to satisfy most buyers.

If you get a buyer who actually goes in to check feedback, it's the negs & neutrals they will read first. Human nature. They're what i pounce on anyway. 

An overall score of 900 signals to everyone (well, to me anywaySmiley Happy) that the person has been around ebay a while. If there was no selling history at all, that might be a bit of a worry (to us, though probably several other buyers wouldn't even check). All the same, you would expect the seller to be familiar with how ebay works, after 900 transactions.

I know my way isn't exacting. Check overall score & %, nip in to see if some of the FB is for sales, check out any negs/neutrals and a quick glance over the 1st page of seller positives, then buy. Touch wood, it has been working pretty well for the last few years.

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Thinking about it, the fact 7 or 8 people never gave FB to jack is not going to impact one iota on his actual 'first sight' appearance of reliability to other potential buyers. At the moment.

If they check his FB, they'll see 4 pages of positive FB as a seller and that's 'enough' for most people. 

Where it will affect Jack the most though is if a customer comes along and gives him a negative. The more positives as a seller he has accumulated, the less impact that neg will have on his overall %.

So I can understand a seller would like everyone who has a positive experience to say so and give a green dot. It's like a little more security each time. Just not sure you can actually get everyone to give it and nagging might be counter productive.

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

I disagree, it only takes a moment to leave feedback, or say "thank you", surely "busy" isn't an excuse for bad manners.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

It also only takes a moment to respect the decision of those who do not wish to participate in something that is VOLUNTARY.
Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I disagree, it only takes a moment to leave feedback, or say "thank you", surely "busy" isn't an excuse for bad manners.

ahhhh, another judgement call on other memberโ€™s character . . . those that donโ€™t leave feedback have bad manners. Give it a rest!

Since when have โ€˜mannersโ€™ had anything to do with leaving feedback?  It is a buy and sell transaction, not a relationship building exercise. People have a life outside of eBay and some just donโ€™t place any importance on leaving feedback . . . deal with it!

I think that those who consider it โ€˜bad mannersโ€™ to not leave feedback are simply expecting everyone else to behave as they do and are intolerant of those that donโ€™t.

Dont forget this:- the leaving of feedback on eBay is voluntary.  Different members will assign different levels of importance on doing so.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

@shoppingbag, I agree with your basic idea of politeness towards others. I think there's so much rudeness and lack of respect on the part of more people today, with rudeness even being lauded on social media.

It's simply that I don't necessarily equate leaving feedback with being polite - or vice versa.

eBay, after all, during its infancy had this feedback system, where buyer and seller both had a vital role to play in validating each other's integrity in a transaction. It wasn't a case of being courteous, but a very real, very recripocal way of signalling trustworthiness. It built a social base that was also a bartering base. It's a bit like this:

"Ah, John, this is my friend Mustapha," said Commissioner Yousef al-Amir, beckoning forward a young man whom I'd never met. The youth's bland face gave me a grave smile as he bowed.

I extended my hand. "Mustapha, I have heard much of you," I murmured. "The Commissioner tells me that you have access to the leader whom they call The Yellow Giant Forest Hog..."

"Please, sir - not so loudly," interrupted the young man urgently, while maintaining his slight smile. "There are untrustworthy ones everywhere. I only meet you because my great friend Yousef al-Amir has rated you as absolutely trustworthy."

"And he vouches for you, Mustapha," I replied softly. "The Commissioner and I have had many dealings over the years. Whom he values, I value. Whom he trusts, I will trust. Come, let us venture inside this tent - "

"A tandoori-pot-maker's tent, John? Really?" said Yousef al-Amir, looking rather amused.

"We set this up. I can vouch for our man inside," I said, opening the flap of the tent and leading the way inside. "Now... we can discuss our plans freely..."

That system of a sort-of mutual vouching for each other worked for a while. But then some - the sort who always like to take advantage of a system, and cheat instead of dealing honestly - worked out how to manipulate this feedback system. eBay reacted after a while... The whole feedback system is different now. I know that some eBay members draw a parallel between the giving of feedback and the giving of a 'thank you". But given that thank yous existed before eBay, and outside eBay, and aren't excluded on eBay, I don't think it's a universal and intrinsic parallel. It's one way of looking at feedback.

Manners and courtesy change in expression and style throughout time and in different situations. I'm put off by a coldly impersonal "thank you", but warmed by one uttered by someone meeting my eyes with thanks warming their tone. I don't like bread-and-butter thank-you notes but appreciate one that is genuine. It doesn't have to be long; in fact, especially when it's a thank you from a bride and groom, for instance, something like "Loved the silverware! Thanks, Love, Sarah & Guy" or "That painting is just us - really appreciate it - Melinda & Chris" is so much better than "Dear xxx, Guy and I would like to express our grateful thanks for the lovely gift that you gave. We are so appreciative of your kind generosity and we will definitely be using this and will always think of you every time. Your friendship means so much to us. Thank you once again. With gratitude, Sarah and Guy Murchison." (You can tell that the Dear xxx letter is a form letter probably printed out without any individual thought, personalised only by the name at the top as a field populated in MS Word.)

How many people write thank you notes after a party nowadays? How many people bring small gifts to the host and hostess when invited for dinner? In some countries, these are standard examples of courtesy...!

Did you know that in some parts of Germany it is considered rude to shake extra seasoning on a dish once it's been brought to the table? It's an implied criticism of the cooking. Being late to a dinner engagement is a major piece of rudeness...!

In some cultures, looking directly into someone else's eyes is considered impolite; in other cultures, it's the opposite (when a refusal to meet someone's gaze is seen as shifty or rude).

In Chinese culture, there is much less of the casual "Thank you" that we have in western societies. If you were to thank someone for holding open the door for you in China, you may well raise a giggle or surprised look. (It's changed a little now in the more sophisticated Chinese areas which have been exposed to western culture, though.)

So... will some people express thanks or courtesy through feedback? Of course. But it isn't true for all feedback, and it isn't true for all people on eBay. It couldnt' be - not with eBay enabling sellers to set up automatic feedback. That sort of feedback hasn't (in my opinion) much real meaning at all - at least not in terms of being polite or giving a genuine endorsement.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

just thought Iโ€™d add that I am one who does leave more feedback than I receive (267 left, 239 received).

However, nobody should use these numbers to make the judgement that I am a person with good manners . . . especially eBay members with whom I have a fleeting encounter with through buying from them, selling to them . . . or replying to them on an eBay public forum.  I can be a grumpy old pr!ck when I want to be.

Just โ€˜sayin.

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply