I listed an auction as local pickup, the successful buyer is not local, how do I resolve this?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I listed an auction as local pickup, the successful buyer is not local, how do I resolve this?

Message the buyer, they may have someone local that's going to pick it up. Nice guitar by the way.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Agree with Padi as your first step.

If, somehow the buyer has messed up and cannot get the item, then you can cancel the transaction, but make sure you use the reason "Problem with Buyers address" (or whatever the wording is), as this is the only way you can avoid a defect on your account.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I've had pickup only items bought by people living in country Victoria - in these cases they are either in the city for some reason or have arranged someone local to me to collect on their behalf - one paid by cash, others by paypal.

However there was a buyer in Qld who hadn't understood the meaning of local free pick meant local to the seller not the buyer. I just advised her not to pay and to wait until the item 'timed out', and I waited for 4 days then put in a payment not received request to ebay.

So first of all you may want to contact the buyer and ask when they are wanting to pick up (or letting them know which pick up times are suitable for you), you could also say you prefer cash on pick up if you'd prefer that. And sit back and see what results from that  - but if no response or payment by end of day 4, follow up with Ebay to get your fees refunded.

Good luck.

(I was too long typing, when I wrote above no other replies at that stage !)

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

If you listed as pick up only, the problem as such is not yours.

I would send a message to he buyer, asking them when they would like to pick up, and include a few times you were available. Don't include an address at this stage, wait and see what the reply is.

It could be the buyer will have delegated someone to pick the item up for them.

But it is also possible the buyer might hit you with a demand that the item be posted or that you arrange a courier. You do not have to do either thing. In your position, if they did that, I would refuse to post (politely) or tell them it was up to them to arrange a courier but they would need to run pick up times past me as I wasn't available 24/7.

If the buyer contacted me and said they had made a mistake and were unable to pick up, then I would probably ask if they wished to cancel and follow through with what someone else suggested. 'problem with address' as reason.

On the other hand, if I had no reply at all to my message about pick up, I would lodge an unpaid item claim.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply