I'm 100% sure this is a scam, but need a little help...

Ok, I'm fairly new to Ebay and atm I am selling a few collectibles. I was contacted through e-mail saying that he will take my best price. I replyed with my best price and he says: 

"Okay,thanks for your response i will purchase it for $499 including paypal charges and my pickup agent will be coming down to your address once the payment is done so send me your paypal email address as soon as possible... "

"Best Regards,,,,,"

Keep in my mind my best price was $330 and defintiley not $500. "pickup agent" sounds like a load of bs.

This is defintinely a scam but can someone explain what method/way he was attempting to scam me?
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

go-tazz
Community Member

@mastercheif8586wrote:

Ok, I'm fairly new to Ebay and atm I am selling a few collectibles. I was contacted through e-mail saying that he will take my best price. I replyed with my best price and he says: 

"Okay,thanks for your response i will purchase it for $499 including paypal charges and my pickup agent will be coming down to your address once the payment is done so send me your paypal email address as soon as possible... "

"Best Regards,,,,,"

Keep in my mind my best price was $330 and defintiley not $500. "pickup agent" sounds like a load of bs.

This is defintinely a scam but can someone explain what method/way he was attempting to scam me?

Total scam and by "paying" a higher price for the item they are relying on greed by the seller to get the item.

Once "payment" is made they more then likely want it sent as their pickup agent can't get there.

The payment will either be made with a stolen credit card a hijacked Paypal account or you'll receive an Email

after they've received you Paypal details,(which off course contains your Email address).

The Email will state that payment has been made and you can now forward it,(or something similar).

If they got the item you would receive nothing in return as it's all fake.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Ok thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Have read through this,(it also has report links,just keep in mind that phone is only during business hours):

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Nigeria-is-a-scam-Fake-shipping-agent-Contact-Live-Help-/1000000001695207...

T

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Had a bit of a read throught it. Good advice and will definitley use if selling in future.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many have fallen for the following.

After the haggling you will receive a payment notification from

PayPal advising that you have received funds.

The item is then posted because the 'agent' can't make it.

SCAMMED !! The email was fake and usually relies on the seller not even

bothering to log in to their PayPal account to verify payment is actually there.

This tends to work on the inexperienced sellers.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

not to mention, selling items should never be conducted off the site for this reason - if the item is sold legitimately by a "best offer" or "but it now" (which could be set to a negotiated price) you will definitely get all of the relevant ebay notifications which will help in determining that the transaction is a legitimate one. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

There may well be a pickup agent. Although usually the 'buyer' will tell you to pay him out of your pocket, as the escrowed Paypal payment included that cost.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply