I'm outta here! Bye bye to all my lovely customers over both my ID's.

Sadly, ebay has put on one too many hobbles on my ability to sell here and keep my sanity. As a seller of second hand and new clothing, I can only imagine the hassles ahead for the brave ones who stay. All the best to you.

I will be listing elsewhere, most of you who leave will probably do the same, I hope we have some success.

I'll keep my eye on things, if ebay recover their senses, I may be back, but I'm not holding my breath!

Sylvia

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: I'm outta here! Bye bye to all my lovely customers over both my ID's.

No, you don't need a NZ address to sell on Trademe. You do need a NZ bank account ( which I have and I use Australian address for trade me a/c).

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

@ ms_aussie wrote:
I sincerely hope you make heaps of money because you're going to need it to cover eBay's 180 day guarantee policy. Just think about it - you sell an item - you get paid for that item - the buyer gets 180 days to get their money back. In reality anything you sell cannot be counted as a 'positive' sale until 180 days have passed. What business can operate on this basis? How can you buy new stock etc., etc., when you are not sure if the money you are spending on that stock is actually yours? That's the biggest problem I have with the new changes.

"What business can operate on this basis?"

Answer: Zappos for one, they have a 365 day return policy. There are now many online operators offering long return periods.

My opinion is ebay or paypal are trying to compete on an even playing field. HOWEVER, this broad return policy is not a one size fits all and in the process the foundation/ heart of the ebay platform is being eroded. I have a feeling the Board will regret making such sweeping policy change without any regard for the very people who created ebay & paypals success.

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

You do not need an nz bank account to sell on trademe.
Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

The Seller must have a verified, New Zealand domiciled bank account which will be the Seller's Nominated Bank Account, unless otherwise agreed with Trade Me in writing.
Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

"So many disatisfied sellers and they seem to be leaving in drones"

'Drones' - YES !!!! What a brilliant idea. That's what we should do !!

An aerial, unmanned exodus from ebay !!

Any drones leaving soon?  I want to buy a ticket !

Sorry to pick up on your typo, but I just couldn't resist, it gave me such a chuckle and let's face it, we've been a bit short of them lately !!

Thank you for lightening the mood !!!

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

When I opened an account on Trade Me ( several years ago as an Aust resident) I needed a NZ bank ac to do so.

This is in their current T & C

1. Sellers must be located in New Zealand or Australia. Sellers outside of these countries are not permitted to sell on Trade Me, unless specifically authorised in writing by Trade Me. Sellers located outside New Zealand must offer at least one of the following payment options to buyers: Pay Now, or payment into their own domestic New Zealand bank account. Sellers should not send items to an address that is outside New Zealand and Australia.

I have noticed trade me has some items being sold by international sellers, one country was Canada. These sellers are vetted first and have the special authorisation required.

Looks like they have added a second option for payment methods for Aust sellers/international sellers. If Trade Me are going to allow more international sales, it is not practical to expect sellers (big or small) in other countries to have a NZ bank account.

Pay Now Pay Now

Recommended for purchases up to $3000.
With Pay Now, you can pay for your goods by credit or debit card on Trade Me. It's fast, safe and there are no additional fees for using your credit or debit card to pay.

The seller will need to be Pay Now registered to accept credit card payments.

Pay Now is a payment platform provided and hosted by Trade Me. It enables buyers to pay sellers via credit or debit card transaction for their trades. There are no additional fees when you pay, but you do need to be an authenticated Trade Me member. 

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

Its quite straight forward to get authenticated:

"To become an authenticated member on Trade Me (and get your first red star ) you need to credit your Trade Me account with a minimum of $10"

You can list using paypal as only payment method.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

@medieval_shoppe wrote:

I have a couple of other enterprises with new product lines, that have nothing to do with my current store's genre, so I would have to open a new seller ID - which is easy, BUT because it's so easy to lose your account these days, if one of these ventures has a bumpy start (and it only takes a handful of confused or dishonest buyers to sink you when you start out on a new ID these days) then I will become a "banned user" - and my main account will get shut down too - so even though I have great new ideas. etc., the new-policies-ebay-boat is so fragile that I dare not show any commercial initiative in any other areas.

This kind of post, as much as I regret to see it, is one of the most pertinent yet too often ignored issues that results from these kind of changes.

The fact is, while 6 months down the line the reality might turn out to be very different to what sellers currently fear, the policies are shattering seller confidence, and in turn inhibiting growth - buyer confidence is great, and necessary, but I think a lot of people (eBay and PayPal included) are dismissing how important seller confidence is. 

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

This kind of post, as much as I regret to see it, is one of the most pertinent yet too often ignored issues that results from these kind of changes.

The fact is, while 6 months down the line the reality might turn out to be very different to what sellers currently fear, the policies are shattering seller confidence, and in turn inhibiting growth - buyer confidence is great, and necessary, but I think a lot of people (eBay and PayPal included) are dismissing how important seller confidence is. 

Digi, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, for quite some time I've been thinking of using eBay as a selling platform but with the newest changes it seems futile to even think about it until the "new improved seller changes" have been sorted out.

That really means that as a buyer I will be slowing down a lot - to be honest that has been happening since the postage fees etc came in - but this new idea that eBay has to hammer small sellers has really done it for me.

If eBay reacts to the buyers that demand refunds after 6 months (fgs) time and time again the same way they do to shill bidders/serial retractors/scammers etc etc then I firmly believe that the proverbial horse has bolted after the stable door was (deliberately) left open by idiots.

I would wonder as well if those sellers that were victims of those buyers would automatically have all their lost money refunded - without having to open some sort of case against eBay..................I doubt it...................

Like yourself I do hope that sanity will prevail, but I somehow doubt it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 29 of 29
Latest reply