Inconsistent rankings in best match search results.

Has anyone else experienced an inconsistency with where their listings rank in search results? I have always had a number of listings that typically appear right at the top. For the past month or so, I've noticed a lot of variability in this. Sometimes at the top, sometimes way down the bottom. I'm typically also seeing sellers who normally don't appear, now right at the top. Many of these often have pretty horrendous feedback on these listings. It's almost like Ebay is playing with the algorithm to try and let new/different sellers gain some traction. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Why shouldn't other sellers have a go at the top? Unless you pay a very high price, which I suspect you don't, you don't own the top spot. Others have a right to have that spot sometimes too, regardless of what you think. Most buyers don't use best match anyway, so I'm really not sure why people get so antsy about it.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Are best match results the same for everyone or are the tailored to each buyers search and buying habits. So if the OP has been viewing competitors listings they may show higher due to viewing them more than their own. 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

Are best match results the same for everyone or are the tailored to each buyers search and buying habits. So if the OP has been viewing competitors listings they may show higher due to viewing them more than their own. 

I don't know for sure, and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but something is telling me they are tailored results given what you've looked at. I'm sure Sandy or Stawks will have a better idea. 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If you look on your traffic page it will show how your listings are ranking. My guess is they go up and down depending on sales volume for that item or the sellers sales in that category. Likely explains how you have a sudden rush of sales then nothing.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

No point looking at this from your own perspective.   

Its what other users are seeing,  so best match for you will be totally different to a best match for me.  There will be so many variables in the algorithm,   

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply