Insufficient postage

I had a buyer purchase two identical items weighing 380g each but somehow has paid for just one lot of postage. I have no idea how she managed this, as usually if you buy two items you pay for two lots of postage. In this case the second item pushed the weight up into the next category (>500g) , and so will cost $3 more to post in a 1kg satchel. I emailed the buyer explaining the situation, and sent her a Paypal invoice for the extra amount.

(I know some of you will say suck it up, it's only $3 extra postage, but each item cost just $5 and she got a bargain at 2 for $10.)

I haven't heard anything from the buyer (now 3 days later) and am wondering what to do. I can just refund her the whole of the original payment, or I can send just one item with the postage she's paid and refund her $5. Opinions?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Insufficient postage

The default postage for subsequent items is buggy when you use the bulk-edit feature. For example, if you select 10 items for bulk-editing, then change them to $8.95 first item and $0 subsequent items, ebay will calculate it correctly. However, if you then click on Revise Item on one of those changed in bulk-edit (individually, by opening the item and revise), the subsequent item postage has $8.95 in the box. So if you were editing quantity or description and did not look at the postage and proceeded to save the changes - voilla! - you are now charging $8.95 for subsequent items.

Back to the OP's issue, though, it is very simple: if it is an error in the listing, you have to either cancel the transaction or suck it up. I would never send a message to the buyer for more money. Just put yourself in the buyer's shoes, you bought something and the seller asks for more money for whatever reason, you wouldn't be too happy either.

Message 11 of 11
Latest reply