International buyer wants to pay extra for me to ship item

This is the first time in a while that I am selling something on eBay so im trying to be extra cautious, anyway I put up an ad for a phone that I no longer need and while making the listing for the item I selected domestic shipping only as I dont feel that im experienced enough to do international shipping. 

Since listing the item I have gotten a few offers (all from overseas) from people saying that they would be willing to pay extra ($100+) for what I am listing the item for to ship it to their country. 

I havent accepted any offers as I am a little suspicious that it could be a scam and justed wanted to double check here if my suspicions are true.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sounds exactly like scam buyers.

If not trying to get you to post then they are simply trying to get your name and PayPal email address.

Mobiles are one of the most targetted for scams.

As well as selecting No international postage, also revise and go into the postage settings.

Exclude by ticking all the boxes for locations you don't post to, that way O.S. buyers cannot bid or buy.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Very very very likely a scam

One of them *might* be on the level but there is no way in the world I would risk it

Very very commonly scammed item, and especially with someone new to selling

I think you'd have nothing but trouble 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thought so, I have now gone and updated my prefrences so that international buyers cannot buy.

Thanks for the tip!

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Well done too for being right on the ball. SO many sellers (both new and experienced) fall right into these scammers hands, no questions asked

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

Well done too for being right on the ball. SO many sellers (both new and experienced) fall right into these scammers hands, no questions asked

but bear, they are willing to pay $100 over the asking price !!!!  

Spoiler
money talk makes some people go ga ga at the knees
Spoiler
classic scammer technique is to offer more than asking price, followed up by a fake PayPal advice saying the money will be held in escrow until tracking is uploaded.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

You can check where the buyer is located by clicking on their user name. Have a look at their feedback too. Sometimes you have to read between the lines, because "buyers can't be left negative feedback", but I have seen some creative remarks for deadbeat buyers.

Sarcasm is the king of wit.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

In a lot of these cases checking feedback is pointless because the scammers hijack someone else's account. More often than not it's someone with impecable feedback that is registered in US, UK or Aus (looks better than Nigeria).

Any other time I would say to check feedback before anything, but when it comes to hijacked accounts, it can be very deceptive.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply