Is Ebay making money from sellers who commit a criminal offence in Australia

poltac
Community Member

I thought false or misleading information came under section 307b of the crimes act 1900 or i could be wrong

If some company advertise's a 2 year warranty  and after 7 months the part fails and does not cover the warranty but ebay refuses to deal with it

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

eBay doesn't get involved in warranty issues because they are just an advertising platform.  You buy from a seller, not from eBay. 

If your seller is overseas then any warranty offered is worthless and not covered by Australian law.

If you bought from an Australian business then you would have a claim against them for warranty on faulty part/s.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Warranty isn't worth the pixels on the screen unless purchased through an authorised distributor.

Many Chinese sellers have their location as Australia and put all sorts of warranty information in the listing which is utterly useless. 

Even if the seller is Australian registered, warranty is still pretty much useless. Ebay is not in the business of warranty enforcement and sellers are responsible for all information in a listing, whether it be true or false. There are billions of items listed on the platform across the world - there is absolutely no way that Ebay can oversee whether a business or person actually fulfils any warranty they claim to offer.

Buyers also need to do their due diligence in terms of who they purchase from. It is easy to see where a seller is registered, irregardless of any information in the actual listing. Buyers should peruse seller feedback to get an idea of what issues they might face and how the seller has dealt with things. 

Always best to buy directly from an Australian business as you will get a warranty in line with consumer laws.

Where is the seller REGISTERED/BASED (info is on their feedback page)? I hope it wasn't an expensive item - if it came from China it's most likely a knock off anyway.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales - it doesn't matter if the seller is Australian based - there is no way to get a warranty unless they are an authorised distributor. The seller themselves cannot make a claim against the manufacturing company either as it will never be recognised. For all anyone knows the items could have been incorrectly stored or even "fallen off the back of a truck". The manufacturer cannot follow the chain of  supply.

Ebay also won't even give a buyer the sellers details to pursue a claim. It would be entirely up to the seller if they wanted to assist the buyer after the 30 day window has closed.

I have yet to see a single successful warranty claim on any thread on these boards, but happy to stand corrected.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply