Is my message to buyers annoying ????

Hi

Thanks for your payment.

I posted your order today so 'hopefully' you should receive by Wed. 16/9

If there is a problem, would you please message me.

Kind Regards

Susan

I have sent this message a zillion times (other id). Today I received a message (rant) from a buyer requesting that I stop sending annoying messages.

A.  She does not want to be thanked for her payment.

B.  She does not want an eta as Ebay gives an estimated delivery time

C.  If I want to let customers know that I should be contacted to resolve issues prior to leaving negative feedback I should write it on       listing.  

"If you are trying to ensure that customers give you higher ratings by bombarding them with unnecessary eBay messages you are wrong. I will leave negative feedback if you send me pointless messages" Her words. 

She has already left + feedback and won't have the opportunity to purchase again.

vent overCat Mad

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

ouch

Message 2 of 45
Latest reply

Most of my sellers send me very similar messages and I don't have a problem with that at all, and if I did then it's only a click of the mouse and the message is gone anyway.

IMHO putting that seller on your BBL is a very smart move, hopefully she won't try to use another account to trash your feedback - unfortunately there are vindictive buyers like that out there.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 45
Latest reply

Sounds like someone is having a bad hair day lol.

I send similar and haven't had a snarl like that yet !

Between eBay and PayPal the inbox can get a bit crowded though.

Message 4 of 45
Latest reply

I would venture to say that it's not so much the message that's annoying, but the fact that the buyer is sensitive to receiving messages like that in the first place, and there's always one (or a few) who seem to take it as a personal affront when (in so far as I can tell) you're simply trying to extend a courtesy. 

I used to send a message to every buyer (I can't really do that anymore as it would take too much time), despite the fact that I knew there would be someone every so often who wouldn't appreciate it, because you simply can't cater to each and every preference of each and every buyer - you'd go mad trying - so with some things you just have to cater for your own preferences.

(Just as an aside, my communication rating was a full 5 stars when I used to send a message to ever buyer. It's been more than a year since I stopped, and it's still at a full 5 stars... Take from that what you will 🙂 ).

Message 5 of 45
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You can never please everyone all of the time.

I don't like being bombarded by ebay messages and for the most part just ignore them.

I don't need to be told that I have paid for something and when it was posted etc. etc. etc.

But if a seller sends a message with similar information I would never be rude enough to send a rant like that....a polite thank you doesn't hurt anyone.

Just being a bit nitpicky though.....I would take out the estimated arrival date.  Ebay's estimated delivery date is confusing enough for some buyers who take it as gospel and if your date is different it may make things worse.

I have had a number of sellers thank me for my payment and state when it was posted and then state "hopefully you should receive it shortly".

Message 6 of 45
Latest reply

OOh. Like the word 'snarl'

She probably left me 1 star for communication . Is that classed as a defect?

Message 7 of 45
Latest reply

@bigoskar2 wrote:

She probably left me 1 star for communication . Is that classed as a defect?

Thankfully, no. Only the description and postage time can 'earn' defects. (Description is 3 or lower, postage time has to be 1 star).

Message 8 of 45
Latest reply

Thanks. Didn't know that
Message 9 of 45
Latest reply

I am one of those who most certainly do not want extra emails cluttering up my inbox. I already receive an email from ebay to say I have paid and another to say the item has been posted so why on earth do I need another from a seller telling me the same thing again. I know to consign the ebay emails to the trash folder without reading them but a seller generated email may be of some importance so I waste my time opening it only to find that it gives me no new information at all as I know already I have paid and I care not when the seller posts, only that it arrives in a reasonable time.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 45
Latest reply