Is my message to buyers annoying ????

Hi

Thanks for your payment.

I posted your order today so 'hopefully' you should receive by Wed. 16/9

If there is a problem, would you please message me.

Kind Regards

Susan

I have sent this message a zillion times (other id). Today I received a message (rant) from a buyer requesting that I stop sending annoying messages.

A.  She does not want to be thanked for her payment.

B.  She does not want an eta as Ebay gives an estimated delivery time

C.  If I want to let customers know that I should be contacted to resolve issues prior to leaving negative feedback I should write it on       listing.  

"If you are trying to ensure that customers give you higher ratings by bombarding them with unnecessary eBay messages you are wrong. I will leave negative feedback if you send me pointless messages" Her words. 

She has already left + feedback and won't have the opportunity to purchase again.

vent overCat Mad

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Is my message to buyers annoying ????

hi poppy , a lot of ebayers complain about these estimate times , looks like it does not worry you. and i can see you are in the country vic over 100k from the gpo. is there a secret for the sellers that complain ,or pot luck.    have a nice day

Message 41 of 45
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

@fixnwear wrote:

To phorum, chameleon, black* poppy and evryone else who hates receiving messages from seller that you have just bought something of:

Maybe you should switch all messages off, including Ebay's & PP's as there is certainly much more to be irrated with them, heaps more of them!

And not to recognise and appreciate someone's effort and good service, like your seller's - it's appaling!

Communicating with a machine is preffered? How does that work for you?

Anyway, try shopping with some high end design houses online, or even of line, you'll get heaps of avises throughout the transaction, and several more afterwards, and few months later they will warmly greet you again and REMEMBER YOUR NAME!

Would that it was possible, unfortunately most of the post sale emails cannot be turned off.  What is appaling is a seller thinking I am brain dead enough to not realise that a posted icon in My Ebay and a message from ebay are not clear enough that the item has been sent! If I want a penpal there are better sites than ebay to find one.

Appalling?  Are you serious?    A seller takes the trouble to send a courteous message, nothing more, nothing less, and is accused of thinking you are brain dead etc etc.   and wanting a penpal?   All that is required for such a message is an equally courteous Thank you.  It takes me two seconds.   Anything less than that is plain churlish.  I welcome such messages and understand some get irritated by them but hardly appalled.      No wonder courtesy is vanishing from our world. 

Message 42 of 45
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

FInally, did you all know that if you don't communicate directly with the buyer you can automatically qualify for 5-star DSR's?

Only if you have a 0-1 day handling time, upload tracking within 24 hours, and there's been no communication between buyer and seller, from 2 weeks prior to purchase up until they leave feedback. With that criteria, I was never going to get an auto-5 for communication anyway.

Re: marking messages as read (or deleting them), I mostly mentioned it because I read the emails, so I know what the message says without going to, and opening it up, in eBay. I understand that may not be possible on some devices, but emails are quicker and easier in terms of access and loading etc on the PC, so I don't even open My eBay messages at all unless I want to respond to one.

I get that some people find the messages annoying, I even understand why, but for as long as there are also just as many buyers who genuinely appreciate it (and as we have witnessed, the number of members who will get so angry about it as to send a message like in the OP, or rate the seller poorly, are very much in a minority), there will be sellers who decide to send them.

IMO, what we are actually talking about here is a seller's choice in the way they operate their business, much like when and how a seller leaves feedback is their choice.

If someone doesn't like getting a direct message from a seller, don't buy from them again. 

Message 43 of 45
Latest reply

@fixnwear wrote:

To phorum, chameleon, black* poppy and evryone else who hates receiving messages from seller that you have just bought something of:

Maybe you should switch all messages off, including Ebay's & PP's as there is certainly much more to be irrated with them, heaps more of them!

And not to recognise and appreciate someone's effort and good service, like your seller's - it's appaling!

Communicating with a machine is preffered? How does that work for you?

Anyway, try shopping with some high end design houses online, or even of line, you'll get heaps of avises throughout the transaction, and several more afterwards, and few months later they will warmly greet you again and REMEMBER YOUR NAME!

fixnwear.........., A small request, please read my posts.

To refresh your memory, my opening remarks from first post. " I,m another who would prefer not to recieve such messages. I DONT GET UPSET ABOUT IT and just delete them " I then went on to acknowledge that some members including new ebayers and people who dont have a lot of social contact for various reasons including health or age issues could appreciate the messages.

This is a long way from terms such as"  hates to recieve messages "  that you have attributed to me.

The OP raised the question of wether sending polite messages to buyers that duplicate the information that ebay sends is appreciated by buyers. Obviously opinion is divided, with some appreciating the sellers efforts and others seeing it as an unnessesary duplication of messages.

Like some others, I just come to ebay to sell ( and buy ) things to people who want them. I try to provide prompt, polite, efficient and reliable service. I want my customers to have a smooth prompt, positive experience. THE END...

If some come to ebay to buy, sell and make friends with others of similar interests, thats great if that is what you want. I,m here to make a living from my small ebay business to provide for my family. To do this I need to use my time very efficiently. My customers are busy middle age men running their own small to medium sized business. They just want to buy the items I sell and move on . They are not looking for a new best friend and neither am I.  

Maybe its just a busy bloke thing...... Is it possible that female buyers who have a bit of time on their hands may be the ones who appreciate the little polite seller messages ?  If so and that is the demographic you sell to, GO FOR IT. Like all things on ebay, sellers need to tailor their businesses to their particular buyers needs and wants.  There is no right or wrong on ebay, just tailoring YOUR business model to YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS NEEDS. 

Message 44 of 45
Latest reply

I used to send messages to buyers, but now I don't bother. No-one I have bought from has sent me a message, I guess it's just unnecessary. Just say something nice on the packing slip, if you use one.
Message 45 of 45
Latest reply