Is my store ok? My sales have dropped off

I know it's been quiet since before Christmas, and I also was away for almost 2 weeks during that time, but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong somewhere.

My store is called kitty-kat-kollection and I sell mostly used excellent quality womens clothes, shoes, handbags, some makeup & skin products, some jewellery and the occasional item like vintage Lego and (genuine) Pandora charms (from one of my own bracelets).

I know the amount of sellers is high in this fashion area, and although I try and buy high end / designer clothes, it's very rare to actually find those pieces at prices cheap enough to guarantee a fairly decent profit and you can never know whether any item will sell or for how much.

I put business cards in every parcel, have custom return address labels and am really helpful and friendly to my buyers. I've been on Ebay since 2002 (but only started properly selling in July 2018) and am a "top seller".

I try to use all the keywords I can in the titles, always include well written descriptions in the listings, always provide measurements for each item, and also try and show my items as best I can by taking photos from various angles. I also go through my listings every few days and change up the photos and review the price.

The photos of clothes are mostly on cat-themed coat hangers on a hook on my white door so against a clean, uncluttered backdrop. The photos of my other products like shoes, bags and cosmetics are on either my white shaggy rug or my faux fur ottoman. I am actively seeking a plain white mannequin bust as they often look so much better (neck down to upper thigh).

I'm just wondering if there's an issue I'm not aware of. Many of my items only have 1-3 views after a week. Am I buying the wrong brands? Am I too cheap? Too expensive? Do my listings blab on for too long?

If anyone is really bored and would care to take a look, I'd really appreciate it

Thank you!
Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

It looks to me like the product of a company trying to trade on the Hermรจs name... and now no longer trading. (As I said in a previous post, the maker is no longer registered for GST. They might have been hit with a cease and desist.)

But... to be sure... I would recommend calling the 1300 number that I quoted earlier, and asking if Hermรจs has ever traded in Australia under the name of HERMES LEATHERGOODS PTY LTD, and quoting the ACN and ABN for that business name/company name (15 000 616 151 for the ABN, and ACN 000 616 151). Also ask if Hermรจs has ever manufactured its leather goods in Australia. Explain that you bought a bag in an op shop and describe the label. That's the only way to be sure.

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

Thank you so much. I just re-read the info you posted previously and I see now. This bag definitely has NOTHING to do with the real Hermes. I've been in Hermes stores and there isn't even anything remotely like this in there. So I just assumed this offshoot brand was real but kind of lame.
Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
Thank you so much. I just re-read the info you posted previously and I see now. This bag definitely has NOTHING to do with the real Hermes. I've been in Hermes stores and there isn't even anything remotely like this in there. So I just assumed this offshoot brand was real but kind of lame.

So you are admitting that you know the bag is fake, yet you STILL have it listed for sale.

That, I'm afraid, is just asking for trouble. Even if the members here that have responded to your post don't report it, remember this is an open forum and anyone wordwide can see what your doing, so it's probably not if you get reported for trying to sell a fake, but when

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

I'm literally just about to remove it now! I meant to do it last night but then got sidetracked. Thank you!
Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

Actually, I'm going to keep it there as when I went to remove it, I saw several other items of the same brand name for sale. I did however take out the bit in the listing about it being a subsidiary of Hermes.
Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

Just because other people do it doesn't make it right. Nor will it insulate you from the possible consequences of knowingly listing a fake.

Give it back to the Op shop and claim your costs against tax.

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Just because other people do it doesn't make it right. Nor will it insulate you from the possible consequences of knowingly listing a fake.

It is not a "fake". The bag has a label on the inside that says Hermes Leathergoods, Made In Australia.

If it was a fake, it would say Hermรจs Paris, Made in France. (Hermรจs aren't actually just Hermรจs, as Paris is a part of their brand name). 

This is a situation where two companies had a similar name, possibly intentionally since the Australian brand was created (apparently) some 130 years after the French one, and one no longer exists - but, any speculation on the intentions of the Australian brand are just that, speculation, becuase it's everyone else who is associating them with the French brand, and Hermes didn't come to Australia until the 80's. Did Hermรจs Paris have any trademark protection in Australia when Hermes Leathergoods was operating? 

Hermes is the name of a Greek god as well, don't forget, and those are always popular sources of brand names (see: Nike), so it's not that much of a stretch for the Australian leathergoods brand to have used it because of that. 

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

Thank you!!!!!!!!
Message 38 of 38
Latest reply