Is proof of posting enough for seller protection or do you need to purchase insurance?

I am in the process of a transaction for a large amount of $$, I plan on posting to Germany using registered mail, complete with tracing number that paypal requires for seller protection.

I have read that this includes insurance for up to $100.00. But the value of what I am posting exceeds $500.00.

If I just send it with the basic level of cover, will I still be covered by paypal seller protection?

Just thought I would check first.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is proof of posting enough for seller protection or do you need to purchase insurance?

If you are posting a high value item overseas then I would take a belt and braces approach.

Get signature on delivery as well.

Also use a service than can associate the buyer's delivery address with the tracking number.

That can be done if you use a service like Click and Send or ebay address labels.

There may be others that others on here will know about.

Make sure you record the exact packed weight of the item as you hand it over the counter.

This guards against the buyer claiming some items/parts were missing.

Get a lodgement scan when you send the item.

Have a second person witness you packing the item who would be prepared to sign a stat dec if necessary.

Take photos/videos along the way of your packing.

Insurance will really only cover you against total loss of your item.

If it arrives damaged then the carrier/insurer will lilkely knock you back citing insufficient packaging.

These are a few things that come to my mind.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Is proof of posting enough for seller protection or do you need to purchase insurance?

If you are posting a high value item overseas then I would take a belt and braces approach.

Get signature on delivery as well.

Also use a service than can associate the buyer's delivery address with the tracking number.

That can be done if you use a service like Click and Send or ebay address labels.

There may be others that others on here will know about.

Make sure you record the exact packed weight of the item as you hand it over the counter.

This guards against the buyer claiming some items/parts were missing.

Get a lodgement scan when you send the item.

Have a second person witness you packing the item who would be prepared to sign a stat dec if necessary.

Take photos/videos along the way of your packing.

Insurance will really only cover you against total loss of your item.

If it arrives damaged then the carrier/insurer will lilkely knock you back citing insufficient packaging.

These are a few things that come to my mind.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

For an item of that value you will not only have to prove you have posted but also that it has been delivered. If it were to go missing you obviously would have no proof of delivery and gertting $100 back from AP would hardly be what you wanted so you should pay the extra and add insurance for the full amount.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply