Is this buyer trying to rip me off.?

I recently  sent a buyer three glasses. I  packed the glasses  as I always do -  with extreme care.  It turns out that the buyer chose to contact me four days after receiving his items to let me know that a stem of one  wine glass is broken. Insurance was paid for the items, however,  he has also  informed me that all packing has been discarded.  This means he cannot take any evidence of packaging to Australia Post for their assessment. 

The  buyer has now asked me, what I am going to  do about it?

I feel as if I  am being unfairly held financially responsible for something that Australia Post would normally cover.  I am also suspicious that the buyer has waited four days to contact me.  What do you  think?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I once bought a figurine that arrived broken. It was packaged extremely well and I took everything to the post office. They said insurance won't cover it unless it has been wrapped by a member of Australia Post.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

And if they knew they had special Aust post insurance, you'd think they would save the box or wrapping so they could show it all.

No I would not think that as there is no AP insurance that will cover items made of glass, taking the packaging to the PO would be a complete waste of their time.

They could of course be telling porkies but there is no way you can prove that so you will have to act on the premise that they have not done the damage themselves.

You can either offer them a discount, send them another glass if you have one, pay for return postage and get the unbroken ones back or refund and tell them to keep one. It is up to you to decide which is the most cost effective solution.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@4green2000 wrote:

@cannalicious wrote:

I recently  sent a buyer three glasses. I  packed the glasses  as I always do -  with extreme care.  It turns out that the buyer chose to contact me four days after receiving his items to let me know that a stem of one  wine glass is broken. Insurance was paid for the items, however,  he has also  informed me that all packing has been discarded.  This means he cannot take any evidence of packaging to Australia Post for their assessment. 

The  buyer has now asked me, what I am going to  do about it?

I feel as if I  am being unfairly held financially responsible for something that Australia Post would normally cover.  I am also suspicious that the buyer has waited four days to contact me.  What do you  think?

4 days to contact you ? thats suspicious is it ??.Not at all in my books..

And just because they received the glasses 4 days earlier, doesn't mean they opened the parcel 4 days earlier.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

That was my first thought.

I don't always open parcels as soon as I get them.

I would ask for a photo, then send a replacement glass if I had one.

If I didn't, I would offer a part refund, no return, or full refund for the return of the intact ones.

Glasses are usually required to match.

As said throughout the replies, AP isn't likely to be paying out on this one.

It's unfortunate, if the OP has packed each one beautifully; there is also, the possibility that the stem had a flaw that then snapped.

That has happened to me opening a box of glassware, set of six, all fine until the last one. All packed the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

If you are going to be thinking every buyer is trying to rip you off, get off Ebay, and go do something where you don't need to trust anyone

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Sugar, the OP was clearly only talking about one buyer, and asking very politely for an opinion. But, you know, voicing the extreme option is always seen as clever by everyone. Kudos to you. Pity it won't actually help his situation right now.
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Yeah I guess you are right about it being polite 

"'Is this buyer trying to rip me off.?''

''I am also suspicious that the buyer has waited four days to contact me. ''

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

The problem as I see it is your trusting AP with fragile items when you should be using a courier service.

As for being ripped off, who knows.  Look at the general community and you will see cheaters and scammers so some of them are likely to be on ebay as well.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@repoohsj52 wrote:

The problem as I see it is your trusting AP with fragile items when you should be using a courier service.

Unless you pay an absolute fortune for a premium courier service you will not see any difference to the service provided by Australia Post.

It is possible to pack well enough for glassware to travel safely via AP.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply