Item damaged awaiting assessment, delivered

I sent a parcel, it was due for delivery yesterday, then 17 minutes later "item damaged, awaiting assessment"  Then an hour later "delivered".  No word from the buyer.

Can someone tell me what all this means? It seems like the delivery driver has damaged it.  If the item was damaged, why would they deliver it?  Or would it be that the box was damaged and the contents were ok?  Should I contact the buyer or just wait to hear from them?  Would they know that it was Australia Post and not me who damaged the box or item? e.g do Australia Post attach anything to say this? I presume if the box was damaged they would open it and look at the state of the contents?

As I've never come across this before, I would like to hear from those of you who have.  This item did not have very far to travel, and was well packed in a sturdy box.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I haven't had it happen as a seller, but I have received something that was damaged in transit. The parcel arrived with the packing pretty torn up and taped back together, along with a letter from Asutralia Post just confirming the damage and advising to contact them if any of the contents were missing or broken (since they couldn't be sure of the original contents or condition I suppose, unless it's really obvious like broken crockery). 

I'd assume that since it's a tracking event, Aus Post would handle it in a similar way, which at least would confirm to the buyer whatever happened it was after you posted. In my case it was just the packaging that was torn up and the contents were fine, so there wasn't any need for further action - if the contents were damaged, personally I would have contacted Aus Post, since the letter indicated it was their fault and mentioned the possibility of compensation (from memory, it was quite a while ago and I didn't keep the letter). 

I'd wait for contact from the buyer, most would advise if there was a serious problem that they couldn't or weren't prepared to accept and / or handle. 

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

You are lucky I had an item delivered that looked like it had been run over and it was a graphite item that was packed with cardboard.

They just delivered it like nothing happened -  AP pathetic.

A lot of Places have Government that are trying to create economic activity and subsidise the postal service or at least make it value for money - not here.

Now that overpaid idiot is gone they may run it like a business that cares about customers and not just executive remuneration and Chinese free deliveries with tracking available for the Chinese not the customer.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I would not blame the delivery driver rather the sorting machines. If it where me I would message the buyer to confirm if the contents are ok. Any damage I would ask AP for compensation but if they delivered the parcel it must have been minor as I have seen some boxes in a very bad state. I do not think they would take time to check the contents just send it on its way and let customer service deal with it. 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I'd also contact the buyer - it shows you care.  Don't assume AP will take responsibility if it was damaged in transit.  It has to be packed to withstand all sorts of treatment.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Australia Post does not look at the contents of a damaged parcel.

They tape it up with black and yellow tape that states that the damage has occurred in transit.

If it is small enough it will be put in an AP plastic bag with a similar message.

If AP has repaired a package it means that the delivery driver has refused to take it and sent it back for assessment.....not that the driver has damaged it...they are not allowed to accept damaged items for delivery.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for your replies. The same buyer just bought another item from me this morning, no mention of any problem. The parcel in question was a very sturdy box, (better than AP sell) I wrap the contents very well, and pack so nothing moves in the box, plenty of sticky tape to make sure no part of the box or label would catch on anything,

I rang Australia Post Customer Service, and they told me that likely it was marked as "damaged" in error, as it would have to go through their assessment process which can take up to 10 days. This is their conclusion, seeing as it was delivered shortly after being marked as "damaged"

So, as I have not heard from the buyer maybe they are not even aware that anything has happened.

Buyers are usually quick off the mark to let you know if there is a problem, so I can only assume all is ok.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Let sleeping dogs lie, say nothing.

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Just remember not all buyers let you know there is a problem by sending a message. Some use the feedback system to let everyone know. 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I rang Australia Post Customer Service, and they told me that likely it was marked as "damaged" in error, as it would have to go through their assessment process which can take up to 10 days. This is their conclusion, seeing as it was delivered shortly after being marked as "damaged"

Maybe that is how it is supposed to work but for practical purposes if a driver picks up a parcel with any damage at all he shows it to the Supervisor who will then decide if it is bad enough to be sent for assessment....or if it is acceptable to go out for delivery.

I believe your parcel comes under the latter category.....the supervisor has decided it was acceptable for delivery and your buyer must have agreed or I am sure you would have heard about it.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply