Item damaged during transit

What's the policy for items that are damaged by Australia Post during transit?  I recommend to all buyers that they spend an extra $1.50 on Postage Insurance but most don't and then expect me to replace their item if its damaged or goes astray.  I have recently had a buyer give me a neg because the item was damaged in transit.  We have no control over this.  what are we supposed to do?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

The buyer can simply claim the item was not packed well enough to prevent damage in the post and they will win the case.

What can you do ? Try not to sell fragile items and if you do, pack them in a way they simply cant get damaged. I wrap fragiles in bubble wrap and place them inside biscuit and sweets tins I purchase from my local op shop for 50 cents each.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

if i was really concernd my packaging might not be enough to protect a very fragile item i'd spend the $1.50 myself to have it covered and use that as a bonus for the buyer, might get you another sale going that extra mile for your buyer. same as i often refund postage over charges, ive had buyers come back and buy more just because i was honest and only charged my out of pocket re postage.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

If the parcel isn't packed to AP's standards, or they deem it isn't, insurance is a waste of money as they will not pay out anyway.

ALL items must be packed to be able to withstand 20kg being dropped on them from waist height. And AP DO NOT offer a 'fragile' service.

The onus is on the seller to pack sufficiently.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

if you believe the insurance is a waste of money perhaps you should aim your reply at the OP not me, they were telling buyers to pay the extra to cover breakages. not me. i was just saying i wouldnt bother, id pay it myself not lumber a buyer with another charge that might cause the buyer to not buy from me.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

How much cover do you expect to get for $1.50  ???  In my experence Aus Post chage a premium rate for insurance and dont like pay up if there is a problem . They are not alone though the freight companies will argue and dont offten pay out either I used Star Trak to send a box last year  the item it arived in a million bits  .There excuse for not payin out... It wasnt a Brand new item I didnt see that clause when i ticked the insurance box. I now have a debt collector chasing me for the freight bill too which i wont pay

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

It wasn't even a fragile item, it was plastic and well bubble wrapped.  It arrived with a big dent in it 😞

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

My items are not fragile, they are plastic and are packaged well, but we all know how rough Aust post is with parcels and no matter how well packaged, sometimes items are damaged 😞

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

how are you supposed to package an item to withstand something 20kg's being droped on it?  Even if it was in a box and bubble wrapped, it would be squashed 😞

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply