Item not received dispute

Hi guys, just wondering where I stand with this.

I posted an item to a buyer in Canada on April 26. He has today lodged an item not received dispute and asked for a refund. The item was $199 Australian plus postage.
Postage to Canada is very expensive so I sent it economy mail. There is an article ID but it's not really a tracking number as far as I know. Tracking and registered was going to cost nearly $100, far more than he paid.
Aussie Post said it would only take a week or so to arrive. I've asked him to wait one more week, which will take it out to 4 weeks since I posted it.

Any idea of where I stand on this?

I've been selling on ebay for over 10 years and have more than 500 positive feedbacks.

I'm really annoyed by this.

PayPal have also put my account into the negative as they await an outcome.

Scott

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Canadian post can take 4-6 weeks.

I had an item take 2 months because it was held up in Canadian customs.

It's not unusual for Canada, they are very strict.

image host
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

That gives me hope that maybe it's still getting there, I think three weeks is still within a reasonable time frame. He didn't bother contacting me direct about it, just lodged a dispute and refund request. I would have waited at least a month.
Australia Post's estimate of just over a week seemed a bit ambitious but I can imagine maybe it's tied up in the Canadian postal system.
Trouble is if it's tied up there for another month, I assume eBay will just order a refund in the meantime.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

when i select economy air for parcels from australia -> canada via the aus post website it says 11+ business days - which would be over two weeks including weekends + any customs delays. i assume it was a parcel?

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Assume it is the Camaro.

String out the case as long as you can and don't ask eBay to step in no matter what info you can provide.

Hopefully it will turn up in time.

Otherwise you may need to chase up the buyer to repay as no doubt they will receive it.

Canadian post may be slow but they always deliver.

image host
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Yes, it's a scale model Camaro.

The buyer has 100pc positive feedback so I would hope that if it turned up after I was forced to make a refund that he would repay the refund.

He says he's willing to wait another week, so I sure hope it turns up within that time.

He told me he bought another model from an Australian website and got it really quickly, hence I guess why he's being a little hasty, in my opinion.
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's so helpful to get other's insights.
Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

@shape000 wrote:
There is an article ID but it's not really a tracking number as far as I know. Tracking and registered was going to cost nearly $100, far more than he paid.
Aussie Post said it would only take a week or so to arrive. I've asked him to wait one more week, which will take it out to 4 weeks since I posted it.

Try checking the article ID on Canada Post's website: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e1s1

They don't always show, but Canada Post has an excellent infrastructure that's highly automated, unfortunately it's  continously let down by being extremely understaffed (according to the inside info I get from my own PO, for whatever that's worth).

The old green CN22 customs numbers used to be tracked once they reached Canada, but it's rare for that to happen now unfortunately, however a parcel's ID has a much better chance of being tracked once it arrives there.

It's frustrating as I used to get a lot of custom from there, but I got so sick of having to deal with the exceptionally long delivery times - up to 8 weeks.- that I will not use economy mail to post there anymore (many residents appear to be completely unaware of the failings of their own postal system).  I hope it works out - from memory about 80% of the orders I had to refund ended up arriving sooner or later and were voluntarily repaid by the buyers in question.

Ignore the delivery times quoted by Aus Post, too - they are generally referring to the timeframe for the package to land in customs in the destination country, rather than physical delivery to the recipient.

(PS I notice there's an announcement on the site regarding service interruptions to certain areas due to flooding, too. If your buyer is any any of the locations named, eBay should be aware of this and take that into consideration. (Well, one would hope, but wouldn't dare to expect when it comes to things like that). )

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

a few years ago I sent  a $400 ring to Canada which did not arrive in a timely manner and I put in an Australia post missing article report. Eventually after around 5 weeks it transpired it was in Canada customs and the buyer had to spend a substantial amount to release it.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

I would have sent the ring registered post for that amount.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply