Listing & photos copied by buyer

Hi, just a question, I recently sold an item on my other id. The transaction went smooth, the buyer was friendly and great to deal with and left positive feedback.

After doing a search, I have noticed that the buyer is now reselling the item which I sold her. (on the same id as she brought it on). She has used word for word the same listing information as what I had and has used one of my photos.

I don't have a problem with the buyer reselling the item and not too worried about the wording so much, more concerned that she used a photo which I had taken and has passed it as her own. 

Wondering if this sort of thing is normal and allowed? I have read in another thread that if you are using turbo listing you are able to water mark your photos (please correct me if I am wrong)??

thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It does happen occasionally, just speaking personally, I'm ok with someone else using my images and/or description to sell an item, but only with permission (and assuming their item matches photos and description).

You can watermark your photos with or without Turbo Lister, I'm not sure exactly how to do it with TL as I don't use it much, but if you're using the online form, you need to click the Add or Remove Options link in the pictures section, then tick the box to enable watermarking on your images.

Copying descriptions and photos without permission is a reportable policy violation - more info here: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/copyrights.html

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

if you used a photo service to upload the pic, you can just change it to something funny so the seller gets owned :^O

You could try and message them using another id  and say, hey can i use YOUR photo plz, lol see what they say  ;\

Or you can report them for using your photo using the report seller link on the listing.

-- A
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks so much DG. I'll start doing this on the online form from now on.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

if you used a photo service to upload the pic, you can just change it to something funny so the seller gets owned :^O

You could try and message them using another id  and say, hey can i use YOUR photo plz, lol see what they say  ;\

Or you can report them for using your photo using the report seller link on the listing.

LOL :^O

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I would say that this customer is just sellingan unwanted item  that she could have returned for a refund. If its just a one off I wouldn'tbother taking any action because you have saved yourself a potential refund but if she has used your item to source an identical item then I would Report. I allow customers to use my photoes if the are selling the item I sent to them and it did not fit or they didn't want to pay to have the item returned. Because itahead saved me a sale and they are scarce these days

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I would say that this customer is just sellingan unwanted item  that she could have returned for a refund. If its just a one off I wouldn'tbother taking any action because you have saved yourself a potential refund but if she has used your item to source an identical item then I would Report. I allow customers to use my photoes if the are selling the item I sent to them and it did not fit or they didn't want to pay to have the item returned. Because itahead saved me a sale and they are scarce these days

Not to sure what her reasons are but you could possibly be right, but she has brought a few other glass items from other sellers and is reselling them as well at a higher price, so maybe she is thinking she is going to make more money on the items, who knows?? but I thought she would at least use a different ID. In any case, I won't be taking the matter further,  just wanted to know if it was common and what I could do to prevent it next time around. thanks.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I presume you do not have the option selected for your photos to be available in the ebay catalogue! If you don't then you could email the seller/buyer and ask them to remove your photo or you will have no choice but to report them to ebay for infringing your copyright.

I have no problem with buyers using my photos as long as it is not something I have more than one of and, more importantly, they ask me first.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

This sounds just a tad petty to me as a buyer. When i am looking for an item i look at the picture granted, but its the price of the item that will make me look closer. Couldnt care less if they are all the same picture just price is the attention getter really.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply