Logos, text, watermarks borders and promotional graphics on images

Hi all. Iv'e been on Ebay both as a buyer and seller for 20 odd years, but now I'm looking to start selling new items on more of a professional level.

It seems that Ebay are against putting watermarks, logos, text, borders and any promotional graphics on images, but I've seen a lot of big sellers doing it. 

Do Ebay just turn a blind eye to this?

I'm a bit concerned if I start doing this and it's against their policies.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@regal*shopping wrote:

Yes - they've tried a few times to bring in a "no text or graphics on photos" rule, but every time they walk it back due to the sheer impracticality of enforcing it (the walk back is announced, but the policy is never updated, so you can find the whole "we will not be moving forward with this policy at this time" bit in their archived announcements).

I would use it in moderation, though. Partly because it often doesn't look as good as some sellers seem to think it does, and partly because since they keep trying, they might make an effort to enforce it one day, and if they do you'd be faced with changing all the photos in the future if they contain text or graphics.

Essential info, or at least something that's extremely useful (eg product info, like measurements) can help, but those ones that load up gallery images with borders, watermarks, postage info, the Aus flag, and other "Best product ever" claims in sticker form, actually look pretty bad (JMHO). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

You can do your main photo and also keep the same photo unmodified in the listing in case you ever needed to remove it.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@regal*shopping wrote:

Yes - they've tried a few times to bring in a "no text or graphics on photos" rule, but every time they walk it back due to the sheer impracticality of enforcing it (the walk back is announced, but the policy is never updated, so you can find the whole "we will not be moving forward with this policy at this time" bit in their archived announcements).

I would use it in moderation, though. Partly because it often doesn't look as good as some sellers seem to think it does, and partly because since they keep trying, they might make an effort to enforce it one day, and if they do you'd be faced with changing all the photos in the future if they contain text or graphics.

Essential info, or at least something that's extremely useful (eg product info, like measurements) can help, but those ones that load up gallery images with borders, watermarks, postage info, the Aus flag, and other "Best product ever" claims in sticker form, actually look pretty bad (JMHO). 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Great info, thanks for that detailed explanation. Very helpful.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

You can do your main photo and also keep the same photo unmodified in the listing in case you ever needed to remove it.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply