Looking for an eBay buddy!

I'm looking for an eBay buddy who i can talk to about setting up my online business and in general, bounce stuff off with...  I have plenty of ideas, but feel the need for someone to kind of help me through the initial stages in starting out.  Starting a store, etc.

Could you be that person who has been there and would be kind enough to offer your knowledge and expertise you have since learned, that has got you to being the success that you are now?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Looking for an eBay buddy!

Google is probably your best friend as is the search function on these boards ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If you do google please don't fall for any of the paid schemes which claim to make you an excellent ebay seller. Most of them are geared towards the US site and anyway if they were any good these people would be making their fortunes on ebay instead of selling dubious advice.

For what it is worth I can give you some tips. I have just looked at one listing, the Gorman dress.

I would change your background colour, google the psychology of selling in regard to colour, very interesting. You need a greater contrast between your background and the text and the blue links below the pics disappear almost completely.

For clothing you need at least basic measurements and an explanation of how they are taken, I list mine as the actual measurement of the garment laid flat and doubled when appropriate. If the fabric has stretch I give the relaxed and stretched measure.

It is pointless asking for payment in 2 days as ebay will not let you open a dispute until the end of day 4.

You should never have negative comments in the listing, telling people not to bid if they do not agree with your tetms and conditions is pointless, all they have to do is follow ebay's policies or it is you who will lose out.

Your listing is spread out too far down the page with only a few words on each line, a much fuller description written in proper paragraphs would be more effective.

If you must have a DSG (dreadful scrolling gallery) at least put it at the bottom. For some reason sellers aeem to think buyers like them, very many of us dont!

'You'll Look Hottie As in This Gorgeous Black Sexy Number'

That is NOT a description, it tells the prospective buyer nothing about the dress and IMO just tell them they could probably make money standing on a street corner and I cannot imagine anyone past the age of 20 being in the least attracted to something with those connotations plus I can't imagine anyone searching for the words hottie and sexy.

Second hand clothes, even designer brands, usually do better as auctions IMO and while they may reach a price of $75 your sell through rate shows that you are expecting too much for a fixed price. I can't remember ever starting a second hand clothing item at over $20 and they usually start for under $10.

Lastly if you do sell anything for over $50 you should be sending it with cover and by a service that gives fully qualifying Paypal protection.

See what a trendsetter I am?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Perhaps start by listing a few items (before opening a store) and see how it all works, how well the items sell etc.

This is a good starting point for reading about selling on eBay

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

just post questions on the boards

usually one at a time or per thread seems to be the most effective so that the answers don't all get mixed up and confused.

Top right of screen is a tab called "Customoer Support"

Bit to the left of that is another tan "Sell"

and down the bottom of most pages is a tab called "Site Map"

Loads of info there to get you started

Best of luck with it all

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

if you're allowing pickup, the accepted best method of payment is cash on pickup, as there is no seller or buyer protection for pickup items. You still have accept a safe payment method, like Paypal, but it is not really worth insisting on it. I don't know if that is what you mean by COD, but a lot of sellers do. COD is an expensive Australia Post service.

Having a slideshow of your item pics when they are different sizes makes the page jump, making it difficult to read. Just list them in the gallery and let prospective buyers look at the ones they are interested in.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Google is probably your best friend as is the search function on these boards ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If you do google please don't fall for any of the paid schemes which claim to make you an excellent ebay seller. Most of them are geared towards the US site and anyway if they were any good these people would be making their fortunes on ebay instead of selling dubious advice.

For what it is worth I can give you some tips. I have just looked at one listing, the Gorman dress.

I would change your background colour, google the psychology of selling in regard to colour, very interesting. You need a greater contrast between your background and the text and the blue links below the pics disappear almost completely.

For clothing you need at least basic measurements and an explanation of how they are taken, I list mine as the actual measurement of the garment laid flat and doubled when appropriate. If the fabric has stretch I give the relaxed and stretched measure.

It is pointless asking for payment in 2 days as ebay will not let you open a dispute until the end of day 4.

You should never have negative comments in the listing, telling people not to bid if they do not agree with your tetms and conditions is pointless, all they have to do is follow ebay's policies or it is you who will lose out.

Your listing is spread out too far down the page with only a few words on each line, a much fuller description written in proper paragraphs would be more effective.

If you must have a DSG (dreadful scrolling gallery) at least put it at the bottom. For some reason sellers aeem to think buyers like them, very many of us dont!

'You'll Look Hottie As in This Gorgeous Black Sexy Number'

That is NOT a description, it tells the prospective buyer nothing about the dress and IMO just tell them they could probably make money standing on a street corner and I cannot imagine anyone past the age of 20 being in the least attracted to something with those connotations plus I can't imagine anyone searching for the words hottie and sexy.

Second hand clothes, even designer brands, usually do better as auctions IMO and while they may reach a price of $75 your sell through rate shows that you are expecting too much for a fixed price. I can't remember ever starting a second hand clothing item at over $20 and they usually start for under $10.

Lastly if you do sell anything for over $50 you should be sending it with cover and by a service that gives fully qualifying Paypal protection.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Perhaps start by listing a few items (before opening a store) and see how it all works, how well the items sell etc.

This is a good starting point for reading about selling on eBay

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

just post questions on the boards

usually one at a time or per thread seems to be the most effective so that the answers don't all get mixed up and confused.

Top right of screen is a tab called "Customoer Support"

Bit to the left of that is another tan "Sell"

and down the bottom of most pages is a tab called "Site Map"

Loads of info there to get you started

Best of luck with it all

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

if you're allowing pickup, the accepted best method of payment is cash on pickup, as there is no seller or buyer protection for pickup items. You still have accept a safe payment method, like Paypal, but it is not really worth insisting on it. I don't know if that is what you mean by COD, but a lot of sellers do. COD is an expensive Australia Post service.

Having a slideshow of your item pics when they are different sizes makes the page jump, making it difficult to read. Just list them in the gallery and let prospective buyers look at the ones they are interested in.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

thanks everyone for all your suggestions, will take onboard...
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply