Looks like there is gst on postage as well? 1 stamp =3 taxes! Why we pay ebay's fees?

Looks like we are being charged gst on postage as well.  1 stamp is subject to three taxes!   Why are we being forced

to pay gst on ebay's fees?   Shouldn't ebay be paying that?    The Australian Government is hitting the bottom of lthe ine whilst

allowing those at the top to get away with almost paying nothing.     Shame on the Government and ebay for letting them get away with it!    No open transparency from ebay!    

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Looks like there is gst on postage as well? 1 stamp =3 taxes! Why we pay ebay's fees?

Sold my Item for $225 and got $225 from the buyer

ebay fee = -$25.43
paypal fee = -$6.37
postage = -$16.50

Total I ended up getting for my item
$176.70

Wish I had of kept the item and not sold it now, what a RIPOFF!!

$48.40 to sell something for $225 ROFL WTAF!

Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

Unless you are talking about another ID you have not sold anything on this ID for over a year.

If you wanted more for your item why didn't you increase the price to cover or partially cover the fees.  As for the postage....the buyer would have paid that either as a separate charge or built into the item cost if you offered free postage.

How is it a ripoff when you know the cost of selling on ebay.....build the fees into the price of your item.

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

Ahh no, that sale was from 3 or 4 weeks ago. the shipping fee suggested by ebay only covered the paypal fee so that was cancelled out.

Basically the system needs to be reworked to account for the Australian tax ripoff costs in shipping and digital services.

I wouldn't have had a problem if the ebay system had of said when I listed the item "hey your shipping and other selling fees will be $40 to sell this and get $225" making the item listed as $265.

It's just the deceptive behaviour i dislike. But it kind of makes sense now why everything is $30-$40 more to buy on ebay now.

Luckily we still have choice on the Internet.

Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

eBay charges 9.9% on total transaction costs plus 10% GST on those fees.

Paypal charges 30c plus 2.6% on the total transaction - the money paid into your account.

These charges are clearly listed on the respective companies' websites. And in their T&Cs, which you said you read when you signed up.

It is hardly deceptive conduct when you don't avail yourself of readily available information.

Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

sorry i'm not here to defend myself and argue with "oh but ers" "you should have read the fine print" rubbish.

It's not 2001. hopefully they will make these charges clearer soon.

Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

How much clearer do the charges need to be?

Any suggestions how they could be made clearer?

Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

I'm not sure what 2001 has to do with anything.

As long as there has been the rule of law and enforcable contracts (a lot longer than 17 years), it has always been prudent to read the fine print.

You are claiming eBay are indulging in deceptive conduct. I, and others, are saying it is not deceptive because it is in eBay's standard contract with you. Your laziness in not apprising yourself of the terms of the contract does not mean eBay is deceptive.

If you think it does, and you have a lot of spare grands, take them to court.

Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

Probably a question better asked to your website designer..

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

the reference to 2001 is from the old Internet days (before you probably knew what the Internet was) of times when websites had terrible user interfaces where limitations meant it was hard to display relevant information.

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

@l33tb1ds wrote:

Probably a question better asked to your website designer..

What are you talking about?

I don't have a web designer.....I am a responder on the ebay boards.

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply