Losing Entire Weekend of Sales Due to eBay Staff Member Doing a 'Google Search'

Yesterday we got an email stating that our entire eBay account with 911 active listings has been restricted for three days due to us selling a 'Prescription Only' vet product.

The product that they are referring to is 'NexGard Spectra Chewables for Dogs'.

This product is not a 'Prescription Only' product. It can be purchased from every single major pet shop in Australia. You can even literally buy it from Woolworths.

We immediately called eBay support thinking that they would take our account restriction seriously, as this restriction would severely impact our sales this upcoming weekend.

We got through to a staff member who 'Investigated' the issue.

The extent of the investigation was doing a 'Google Search'.

The first result on Google says that you require a prescription.

That is because the first search result IS FOR EUROPE.

So now we are going to lose our entire weekend of sales on eBay, simply because a guy spent five seconds to do a Google search, then went off to Starbucks to buy his double Vanilla Flake Whip Creamed Frappuccino.

Does anyone know how we can escalate this so that we can resume sales ASAP?

Screenshot at Sep 01 17-14-50.png

Screenshot at Sep 01 17-07-31.png

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When you're restricted like that, you still make sales, you just can't list any new items for the 3 days. Can you even buy a double Vanilla Flake Whip Creamed Frappuccino in the Philippines? Do they even have a Starbucks?

If they have told you not to relist, and you do, you'll get another restriction, only it will last longer, 7-30 days. If you keep relisting it, they will end up shutting you down permanently. You account has been flagged, so the bots will be quicker to pick you up over someone else. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

When you're restricted like that, you still make sales, you just can't list any new items for the 3 days. Can you even buy a double Vanilla Flake Whip Creamed Frappuccino in the Philippines? Do they even have a Starbucks?

If they have told you not to relist, and you do, you'll get another restriction, only it will last longer, 7-30 days. If you keep relisting it, they will end up shutting you down permanently. You account has been flagged, so the bots will be quicker to pick you up over someone else. 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for your response.

We called eBay support again and got through to a nice a lady named Nikki, she googled the product and clearly seen that it was not in fact a 'Prescription Only' product.

We then got an email a short time later from eBay stating that 'Your appeal have been approved!'. It stated: 'If we reinstated any listings, you'll find the details at the end of this email and you can relist the items.'

We didn't even re-list that product we received ANOTHER EMAIL, saying our account has been restricted AGAIN due to the SAME issue with the SAME product.

They are stating that it is because the eBay head office is based in the United States. Even know they are citing the "Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods" as the registering body that restricts the sale of the product.

This is beyond a joke. Even know our 911 products still show as listed, the are not appearing on the front end of our store and all sales have stopped.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Did the message go into your ebay messages inbox? If so, get back onto them and tell them to read the message from the customer support person, and also that your appeal had been approved. I'd also remind them that you hadn't actually relisted the item. Could ebay have relisted it on your behalf?

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I just looked at a couple of your sold items,  and they are available for international sales, with some restrictions,  but no restrictions on  Europe and the USA.

I wonder if the BOT is picking up that you are allowing sales to countries where prescriptions are required,  and as such restricting your account.

Only basing this on the sales I can see, as I can't see any current listing for sale.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

That's a very good point sugar. I never thought of that. It could be worth the OP blocking other countries on those products and see how it goes.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

If they dont offer worlwide postage would that not be enough. 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

If they dont offer worlwide postage would that not be enough. 

Their best approach would be to only offer Australian postage,  at the moment they have a mish mash,  but Europe and USA are not blocked.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

The listings say posts to australia.

I have always known you cant offer worlwide postage on restricted items but no mention from ebay you need to block other countries as well.

Looking at the other sellers who sell that product they appear to have the same country exclusions with no mention of Europe or US.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I would say logic says (but that assumes I have logic. LOL),  that if you don't block all countries,  they can still buy.   And the BOT should pickup that fact and suspend.   But as I said thats logic,  and who knows how the BOT works.    

And no idea how the others are getting away with it,  but really they shouldnt be.

And the OP's comment about the CS rep looking up google is just rubbish, they may have looked up google,  but  as it is the BOT that controls it not the CS rep,  and thats why it was suspended again.  

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply