May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Re: May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

I don't see how encouraging fixed price listings is a bad thing, i know as a buyer i prefer to just click "buy now" so the seller can start shipping immediately, rather than waiting X days for the auction to end before having someone snipe the bid with some bidding program.

I find people only like auction style listings if the seller starts it at some absurdly low price and people start mass bidding because they think they can get a good deal, which backfires because the mass bidding results in the item selling for way more than it's usually worth.

Message 61 of 303
Latest reply

So a partner is not allowed a separate ID.I know at least 2 people who do this,not disputing what you say as I didnt realise it was an issue

yeah you are but if ebay thinks youre intentions are to beat the system by using another ID for more freebies...then ebay will act

I read a warning about it somewhere 

Signatures suck.
Message 62 of 303
Latest reply

you have never been able to get 40 free listings as a powerseller. The 40 free listings and they remain the same, are for the 'casual' seller.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Message 63 of 303
Latest reply

you have never been able to get 40 free listings as a powerseller. The 40 free listings and they remain the same, are for the 'casual' seller.

40 free listings - available to all non-Store sellers

Message 64 of 303
Latest reply

chook88
Community Member

This is like getting a letter from the bank where they preface it with we have good news for you - we have sacked heaps of staff and we are putting up your repayments so we can give the shareholders a pay rise.  (Yay for the banks). I can't see how small sellers will benefit at all!  So what we get more free listings. eBay does not want small time sellers. eBay is a giant corporation who wants the big guns.  eBay needs competition.  It's too expensive to sell on eBay and Australia postage is a rip off. Unfortunately alternative sites like Oztion are not yet a viable alternative. Monopoly is not good for small sellers and this fee restructure is killing us.  It's difficult enough to make any profit as it is and it makes me wonder if it's worth the tme and effort on eBay anymore.        

Message 65 of 303
Latest reply

I have a feature store and from what I can see, I'll be better off - I'll get my first 200 listings free which will save me $40 per month.  My FVF will remain at 7%.

I don't do auctions, we only do fixed price listings

From what I can see, it seems to be the auctions that are effected, as well as certain categories with the FVF.

But I am a bit dubious - seems almost too good to be true - I guess they will have to put the store fees up again soon

Message 66 of 303
Latest reply

Just wanted to vent too, about now they have brought back the basic store.  They made everyone that had a basic store, change to a feature store.  Now they bring back the basic store, but I am better off staying where I am, we have over 300 listings.

They change things so often on EBay it's making my head spin

Message 67 of 303
Latest reply

stamp and coin auctions are very viable and a lot of fun as well, so just because you don't like auctions in your catergory does not mean they aren't popular elsewhere.

any other areas on ebay that still enjoy auctions? 

Message 68 of 303
Latest reply

We had a .com store and listed everything auction style and then were forced to shut our .com store and open a .com.au store about 9 months ago. With the change we had no choice business wise but to list buy it now style. We have lost about 30% income with the change over. The new changes mean nothing to us. Win $40 loose $40.

But if eBay allowed me to use 50 of the 200 free listings auction style every Saturday and missed 4 Saturdays per year I could start a new collectables area to sell in and it would be the boost and an insurance if I missed a error because the bidding would find it. Plus I could get $200 value out of the free listing if eBay allowed me to choose where I spend my free listings.                         

PLEASE EBAY HELP US

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE 200 FREE LISTING WHEN & WHERE I WANT MONTHLY

LET ME USE 50 FREE LISTINGS 4 X PER MONTH AUCTION STYLE PLEASE

Message 69 of 303
Latest reply

The Basic Store comes back as a show pony, but BS is no Black Caviar. It ain't gonna come back from a brief rest and blitz the field.

I'll just wait for the probable offer of 200 free listings, similar to the "100 free listings" March offer,  as eBay panics around the 6th of May 2013 the core ( of sellers) has once again been deemed " lazy* ".

"In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey".

Message 70 of 303
Latest reply