May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Re: May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

traxed
Community Member

Good Bye eBay!!!

Message 111 of 303
Latest reply

felizburro
Community Member

Can Ebay/Paypal please disclose on this thread what their nett profit was last year & why they feel the need to increase their sales fees. It was more than enough prior to this current increase. I will only use it if I have exhausted all other methods of selling & been unsuccessful.

GREED!

Message 112 of 303
Latest reply

Executives told analysts at eBay's annual investor day on Thursday that they expect revenue of $21.5 billion to $23.5 billion in 2015, versus $14 billion in 2012, as the company expands globally, focusing more on local commerce and using mobile technology to lure shoppers.

No advantage for the small hobby seller.

eBay does not want the people that made eBay anymore unless they are Power Sellers or big Retail Stores.

Between eBay, Paypal and Australia Post charges there is no profit on small value items anymore.

No more listing for me.

Erica 😞

Message 113 of 303
Latest reply

I am a small  volume but regular seller on eBay and have been for 10 years. I see myself as one of the people eBay was originally set up for...BUT NOT ANY MORE. In the new fee structure, EBay has turned their back on people like me in the interests of a greater money grab.I estimate that on average listings of 120 per month, I will be approximately $100 worse off...mainly from the jump in insertion fees for items under $20. The additional 10 'free listings (30 to 40) will go nowhere near covering the higher insertion fees. As I sell collectables and pride myself on delivering interesting  objects to buyers Australia wide...at reasonable cost, the new structure will affect my business model badly...maybe to the point where I am forced out.

Would this matter to EBay? Of course not! I am too small. However, I can see where it would affect thousands of other sellers of 'under $20' items as well. 

Hopefully further consideration will encourage a rethink on eBay's part. A jump of 50c to $1 per listing would be acceptable in the current economic climate and 7.9% to 8.9% in FVF , rather than the proposed 9.9%, even better.

By continuing to encourage small every day sellers, maybe the greater sales volume would continue to offset the proposed price increase.

Message 114 of 303
Latest reply

Whats the point of 200 free listing if they can only be BIN, I have a featured store & can honestly say the last time I sold anything BIN was months ago. I rely on auctions. At first I was excited about the 200 free listings a month until I read FIXED PRICE only. Now I am just as gutted as alot of sellers.

Message 115 of 303
Latest reply

It was the huge number of small sellers and the variety of goods they offered that made ebay what it is now. Seems ebay definately do not want these small sellers now. It appears the corporate world's answer to when people have little money to spend and things get tight - raise your prices. This logic seems pretty dumb to me. Cheaper prices = more buyers thus eventually more income comes in. Oh well the richer get richer and the poor get poorer, trouble is there are a lot more poor than rich. One day somebody in this dumb world may wake up.

Message 116 of 303
Latest reply

Whats the point of 200 free listing if they can only be BIN, I have a featured store & can honestly say the last time I sold anything BIN was months ago. I rely on auctions. At first I was excited about the 200 free listings a month until I read FIXED PRICE only. Now I am just as gutted as alot of sellers.

Why do you keep paying eBay $50 a month for a store then. Doesn't seem like a smart business model.

I sell books. Out of many millions listed, 27 thousand are auctions. i will save about $35 per month. Great for me. And undoes the last 2 store price hikes that didn't even result in reduced FVF; which I also will now get.

Message 117 of 303
Latest reply

helenc2082
Community Member

My My Ebay - you really do seem to want to burn the hand that feeds you..........  I think most people see these fee changes for what they are,  a very ugly grab for cash.

And as a heads up - the marketing nonsense you have put together to sugar coat the fact you are making an enormous  grab for other peoples money ,  please please please don't insult our intelligence - if you are going to make a grab for cash then at least be strong enough to put it out there in plain English and stand beside it.   Nonsense marketing is for companies that have things to hide............... hmmmm

Message 118 of 303
Latest reply

Like I said....

Message 119 of 303
Latest reply

I do not like the coming fees either BUT ebay is a business like another business and the owners like any business owners are in business to make money.

Even if they are making squillions we have the option to not use it if we do not like it.

They are offering a service we can either use or leave.

And as stated in time this will all be forgotten and sellers will continue selling and all will go quiet till the next time there is another change.

And the circle will just keep going round and round.

So should we all stop banking our money as the banks make money from our money?

Should we all stop eating as the supermarkets are making money from our hunger?

**stands back and waits the onslaught**

Message 120 of 303
Latest reply