Missing Parcel - Item posted overseas to Sweden

At the start of November I sold an expensive book to someone in Sweden.  I sent it International Standard Post which includes tracking.  However the tracking seems to have stopped at Brisbane airport when it was with the carrier.  The parcel has not been received by the buyer.  I have lodged a missing item enquiry with Australia Post and have not heard anything from them.  i also have emailed the Sweden mail provider (this was only yesterday - so I might yet hear something from them).

Can anyone offer any further advice on what to do.  I have not sold many items overseas bu tthey have all worked out ok with this exception.  

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I found that making a friendly enquiry with Aus Post via a PM on their Facebook page always worked out better, and they usually respond within a few hours. Just drop them a private line today on FB and see what happens.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Has the buyer opened a dispute for item not received? Have you checked the AP site to see if Sweden is accepting mail from Australia? There are still countries that aren't accepting mail, so everything just sits in limbo. Things are taking, on average, 6 weeks to get to the US, so could be longer to Sweden.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

This might help :-

https://auspost.com.au/service-updates/international-delivery-updates

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Try tracking the number either through Sweden's postal service (Postnord), or a universal tracker (eg 17track, trackitonline etc) - tracking for packages via Aus Post often ends after being dispatched to the receiving country.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

After only 4 weeks since sending I would not be overly concerned about non-receipt.

From our own experience delivery to to Sweden is extremely slow, for example we recently had an Express Post item that took 4 weeks!

Typically, the sequence of tracking for an international item is:

(a) Cleared and awaiting international departure

(b) Processed by air carrier

Note that (b) only means a carrier has accepted/processed the item - not the item has actually left the country.  You may well see this notification over numerous days until the item is actually on the aircraft.

(c) There may be a scan when the mail bag containing the item is received in the destination country.

(d) There may be a scan when the item has cleared Customs and handed over the the Post Office.

Next scans will be by the Post office for delivery etc.

Note that Customs clearance in Sweden is typically very slow at the moment, even more-so because of COVID

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply