More Competition needed to Lift Ebays Game

Seriously I feel like I'm always complaining but I really wish there were more sites like ebay to choose from because they need to lift their game BIG TIME

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What is your question for other members?

You've posted under selling, so if you are selling why would you want more competition if you are already 'always complaining'? 

And the only other thing you have posted under this account was complaining your funds were on hold (as they should have been since you are seen as a 'new seller' and as you agreed to when listing)

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

There is nothing stopping you from starting a new competitor

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I'm just guessing but I suspect that marketplace on facebook is giving ebay a run for its money.

Just about everyone who has everyday second hand items they want to sell without hassles has moved there.

Facebook boards or marketplace are where people go if they want to buy eg second hand uniform items for the kids, furniture etc

Ebay (to me) seems to be edging away from the market it had at the very beginning, where most things listed were from mum & dad sellers. These days it mainly seems to be professional sellers.

You won't get everything on marketplace though. There's a bigger range of things on ebay.

I would also say Amazon and Etsy are big competition for ebay.

There's Gumtree as well but my impression is not a lot of people use it, most have moved to marketplace.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

100% agree.

Ebay may have started as a way for casual sellers to sell personal items.  That market has moved to FB or Gumtree etc.  Ebay own Gumtree and I think they're happy with that trend.

Ebay has invested heavily in API capabilities, allowing numerous software vendors to hook into Ebay.  A seller selling thousands of items Ebay offers managed payments and ready API integration.  That kind of seller can not use, and is not interested in using, FB or Gumtree.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@p9games wrote:

Ebay own Gumtree and I think they're happy with that trend.

They used to, but they sold it over 3 years ago.

https://insideretail.com.au/news/ebay-sells-gumtree-as-part-of-us9bn-classifieds-deal-202007

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I agree. I think ebay is happy with the trend towards more businesses on ebay, selling mainly new items.

For business sellers, I imagine the advantage of ebay over marketplace is that on ebay, so much is automated. People buy & pay, sellers send it out.

Marketplace is too heavy on personal responses, cash and pick up for most businesses but it's okay for the occasional seller who just wants to clear out a few things.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply